96 232 tilt helm replacement

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Anybody replace the tilt helm on a 96 era GW? Mine is leaving a puddle, at 21 years old I figure I'll just replace it. PITA, but needs to get done.
If anyone knows which model helm is the proper replacement that would be very helpful. I'm having trouble on the Teleflex website.

artodea

Reaction score
You do have the option of replacing the helm with a standard front-mount with the back-mount plate. It will bolt right up with no modification but you lose the tilt. I did that last year with my re-power, not due to a hydraulic leak but because the tilt mechanism had developed so much play - and I realized that I never changed the tilt position anyway.

For fixed mount, you'd need the HH5273 helm (1.7 cu in capacity) and the HA5418 backplate kit.

You're local to me - I have the puller needed to remove the wheel if yours is as stuck as mine was...

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Art, thanks. I like the tilt and its smooth as silk. Yea, I've use the wheel puller before, even needed and impact gun to make it pop off. I just looked at it and it seems to be leaking very slowly from the outer diameter. I'm going to check into new seals and see if I can save a few dollars. I'll talk to the guys at Teleflex and be sure I get the right kit.

New helm is 700 bucks and it seems like a minor leak. I could probably ignore it for a while and just top it off... Do you have the ridged copper lines going into your helm ? It gets a little ugly if I break one of those off.

Thanks very much for your help. See you on the water soon.

Reaction score
Website
www.prattcustoms.com
My '95 265 started leaking last fall. Right after I made my own replacement bushing.( not related) It was the front seal. I sent the helm to a seastar repair shop and they flushed it and replaced the seal. I also replaced the copper lines with the braided plastic tubing. $285 for the helm work and the 18' hoses.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just ordered a seal kit for about $12.00. Its usually the front seal which can apparently be replaced without pulling the helm out of the boat. Although mine appears to be the rear gasket that's leaking. There are some great youtube videos on rebuilding the helms.