Replacement swim ladder on 228?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've looked online at Windline site and don't see a ladder with the same mounting pattern, all the new ones are narrow. Mine is 15 1/4" overall wide with bolt holes at 13 3/4" center to center and 12 1/4" steps. Anybody have a source for one to match. Mine is sticky/hanging up when trying to stow it.

Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DennisG01 said:
Was it made custom for Grady? If so, you may have to go through a dealer.

Is it salted up on the inside?

Not sure if it's custom or not. Has a Wndline sticker on it. Might be salted inside the tubes. I've metal polished the outside and it's helped a little. Only the last extension sticks when going back in.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If cleaning/polishing has helped, then I would lean towards thinking it's just dirty on the inside and not that one of the legs is bent. I would probably first try to clean it out better. Take the ladder off and soak for a couple days (extend/contract the ladder a bunch of times along the way). Use something like Salt Away or Salt Terminator. You could try white vinegar, first, if you wanted. Hopefully that will get rid of the crusties on the inside. After you've done as much as you can, let it dry and then hold it upside down (vertically) and spray it real good with a silicone spray. Open/close it a bunch of times, spray again, open/close it... you get the idea.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DennisG01 said:
If cleaning/polishing has helped, then I would lean towards thinking it's just dirty on the inside and not that one of the legs is bent. I would probably first try to clean it out better. Take the ladder off and soak for a couple days (extend/contract the ladder a bunch of times along the way). Use something like Salt Away or Salt Terminator. You could try white vinegar, first, if you wanted. Hopefully that will get rid of the crusties on the inside. After you've done as much as you can, let it dry and then hold it upside down (vertically) and spray it real good with a silicone spray. Open/close it a bunch of times, spray again, open/close it... you get the idea.

Yes sir, that's my next step. I have found that vinegar does help with salt removal. May pick up a few gallons and soak the ladder for a few days as I have it off the platform. Looked at a few year newer Grady yesterday and Grady had changed to a smaller width ladder. I like the wider one better. Have to do what I can to salvage it. It's not bent, just sticky.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DennisG01 said:

Soaked in vinegar for a couple of days, opened and closed. Dried for a couple of days. Went to Lowe's and picked up some PB Blaster Silicone spray, just sprayed it down, opened and closed multiple times while spraying legs down. I think it's going to work, much more free sliding than it was. I'll treat it again, but I'm thinking this has salvaged my ladder!! Thanks Dennis. 8)