Opinions on selling Gulfstream needing repair

Bokat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need your opinions on selling my boat. I have a 1993 230 Gulfstream w/twin 2003 175 Evinrude DFI motors. The 230 has the notched outboard transom not the bracket type transom. I am selling the boat as I bought a 2006 Sailfish. The Gulfstream has a wet transom and I have one estimate to repair it of $3600 - $4200. My question is should I have it repaired and then sell disclosing the repair or sell as is disclosing the issue? I would definitely fix it and keep it as it is in good condition if I had not bought the Sailfish. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I don't have knowledge of selling boats. I would think repairing it well would help you sell it faster and maybe more money. You take a good deal of trepidation out of buying an older Grady. Now the question is will you recover the repair costs? Maybe? Maybe you get it back and then some?
Buyer confidence is important I would think. A new transom goes a long way there in instilling confidence. That's my two pennies for what it is worth.

MA208

Reaction score
I would sell it as is, with full disclosure, priced accordingly. Include the quote for repair. My reasoning is that as a seller you'll never get your money back, and as a buyer they'll be less likely to trust the repair, especially if not local. In addition you may find a buyer who is willing to undertake the repair themselves and save some cash in the process. Just my opinion of course.

seasick

Reaction score
MA208 said:
I would sell it as is, with full disclosure, priced accordingly. Include the quote for repair. My reasoning is that as a seller you'll never get your money back, and as a buyer they'll be less likely to trust the repair, especially if not local. In addition you may find a buyer who is willing to undertake the repair themselves and save some cash in the process. Just my opinion of course.
I agree 100%

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
seasick said:
MA208 said:

I agree 100%

Same here, if I bought it, I would want my people to fix it, my mind would rest easy knowing it was done right by my guys,,, not saying yours would do it wrong.

Price it accordingly with full disclosure of any repairs needed. Buying and selling is a trust game, being truthful and open goes a long way.

Bokat

Reaction score
Great info. I am putting myself in the position of the buyer and I kind of agree with the majority opinions. I would want my own shop to do the repair to make sure it is right and there were no shortcuts taken just to sell the boat. On the other hand, a boat that is in good condition with everything working might sell quicker. Thanks for the input. If I get a good number of opinions one way or the other I'll probably go that direction. Any other ideas or opinions?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A lot depends on the potential buyer. If they are boat knowledgeable they might offer you a price which accounts for the transom repair. Others may be frightened away by a wet transom. You could always state that there is an option for you to repair of reflect the repair in the price for those that would like to do their own repair.

PS - I just saw a 1985 208 in my marina with a new transom and the work was incredible. It looked brand new boat ready for another 32 of years of service.

Bokat

Reaction score
Well, I think I'm going to try to sell the boat "as is" disclosing the problem and see if I get any interest at a reduced price. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll fix it and put it on the market repaired. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
seasick said:
MA208 said:

I agree 100%

Same here, if I bought it, I would want my people to fix it, my mind would rest easy knowing it was done right by my guys,,, not saying yours would do it wrong.

Price it accordingly with full disclosure of any repairs needed. Buying and selling is a trust game, being truthful and open goes a long way.

I agree and good points. You can always fix it if you have trouble moving it.