Good Santa - Garmin 4210 install '97 Islander

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just finished installing a Garmin 4210 in my '97 Islander. Flush mount job. Not for the faint of heart. You need to get the chain saw out to get that baby to fit!

4210a.jpg

The picture below will give you some idea of the rework. The bottom of the frame for the black lid had to be ground down. The hinge area had to be cut out even with the top of the helm. Some of the fiberglass up top inside the box had to be cut out.

A few of the postings were asking about what you can fit. The box has a XM-weather and sounder black box installed in the back. The terminal strip and fuse block are mounted on a removable piece of starboard. The aluminum tube for the wiring was pulled and the flanges ground out so the wires would pass.

4210c.jpg

Overall it was worth the effort.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think your installation is neater than mine. :D

NewFlush1.jpg

But I can definitely identify with the "chain-saw surgery" needed to get it all to fit.

Brian

catch22

Reaction score
Wow!... talk about about "cutting it close". :shock:

Nice job.

You too ocnsir... looks great. :D

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Electronics install

ocnslr - I'm sure you had the same problem with the rear clearance of the unit. I couldn't get the 4210 off to either side, there just wasn't enough room. The unit require a 8 1/8" high hole. The unit is 1" deep at the top and tapers quickly to 3 1/2" at the bottom. Clearance at the top is the issue. Had I mounted the starboard on the face of the helm I probably wouldn't have has to cut the fiberglass at all. Bringing the unit furthur out the extra 1/2" helps a lot.

Did you have any overheating / cooling problems with everything in the box? There is minimal ventilation.

I also installed the Garmin 18" raydome and moved the Garmin 3006C up top where the Furuno 1621 was. Everything networks so I can put radar, sounder, charts, bathmetrics, weather, combinations and overlays on either display.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Very nice. Are you going to move the fuse block? May want to consider a new Blue Seas under the helm so you can change them if/when one blows without removing the plotter.

Nice unit, I've got a 4208 that I'm very happy with.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hookup,
Was that rigging tube on or did you have that fabricated? That sure would simplify my cable runs. Does it connect up to the overhead e-box?
I have a 95 Islander without that tube. It does appear that it would be difficult to install because it looks like there is some filler between the inside and outside of the console you cut away.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Electronics install

Hookup1 said:
Did you have any overheating / cooling problems with everything in the box? There is minimal ventilation.

There are no additional items in that box, so I have not had any heat problems. The Lowrance Broad-Band Sounder is mounted to the overhead in the head compartment.

In fact, I have an access hatch on top so it is still used for a lot of storage. I installed the access with the first flush mount, with an LCX-19C, a couple of years ago.

FlushMount5.jpg

Brian

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Electronics

The aluminum tube goes from the helm to the overhead box - 45 degree turn into the side. I bought the boat used but it looks factory. There is reinforced fiberglass where it mounts. It wouldn't be that expensive to have on fabricated.

It doesn't look like ocnslr has the tube. May be a model year thing.

oncslr - I don't have enough space to "save" in the box to warrent the hatch. To get access I have to pop the trim off the 4210 and take 4 screws out. The unit has a factory gasket on it and I ordered a spare.

I am concerned about the heat buildup. The unit has an aluminum frame that is a heat sink as well. Its runs on the high side of warm - you know the unit is on. I'm taking the boat to Islamorada for 5 weeks starting Feb 1. That will be a good test.

I'm also seeing some voltage drop. I may pull another set of wires from the battery. Anyone been in this wire chase before? Where is it? I'm going to look in the manual and poke around this weekend.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Electronics

Hookup1 said:
It doesn't look like ocnslr has the tube. May be a model year thing.

Don't know if it's model year thing. We don't have a factory top. Purchased the boat new with the Vista top, then had a local shop (S&S Marine) fabricate a top six months later. All rigging is inside the top support tubes, but I have considered a rigging tube to the helm area - just haven't had one made yet.

Our top is a bit taller, and the underside allows us to have ten (10) sets of rod holders. I also had a grabrail fabricated, and I installed it. Here's a photo:

hardtop1.jpg

Brian

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Electronics box

If the temp becomes a problem I'll put a vent of the side by the vent window and put a 12 volt fan from a personal computer in there.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Re: Electronics box

Hookup1 said:
If the temp becomes a problem I'll put a vent of the side by the vent window and put a 12 volt fan from a personal computer in there.

looks nice, good job on the install!

The puter fan may not hold up long in the salt air tho...

abielecki

Reaction score
If any Grady Islander owners are intereseted I went ahead and had a custom one piece cnc'd "seafoam king starboard" panel made for my 95 Grady islander to mount an HDS12 at the helm. I had them make me a few blanks as well (without a template cut out so you can adapt to your display).
I will sell the blanks to whomwever is interested @$75 each plus shipping. One is out of 3/4 stock, the other out of 1".
Pictures attached.

Andrew
Flemington, NJ
(908) 963-1997

Attachments

• MFD Panel 2.JPG
    MFD Panel 2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 241
  • MFD Panel 3.JPG
    MFD Panel 3.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 240
  • MFD Panel 1.JPG