2000 Gulfstream 232 - twin outboard replacement

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Currently have twin two stroke Yamaha 150’s with just over 1200 hours. Engines run well but too much tweaking and would love to get rid of oil requirements as not getting any younger. My dad recently passed and told me I was inheriting enough to replace with newer twins to last my lifetime of enjoyment versus maintenance. So I am looking for advice as to how far to go. Would expect to change all cables and wiring but not sure if anything else should be thought of during the process. Twin fuel tanks are fine and lines were replaced two years ago.

Help me spend my money. 150’s or 200’s? Other? As my son said could replace with new 232 but I do like the boat and really no need.

Currently on Lake Champlain and will venture to Lake Ontario and some salt water (ME, NH, Cape).

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry to hear about your father passing. If money is a concern, I'd honestly sell what you've got while it still runs and operates fine, and then get a newer boat with newer/new motors already on it. If money is no option, which is kind of what it seems like at least for a dual outboard repower, I'd consider a few options. First, I'm not sure what your current outboards are, in that are they an HPDI or OX66? Either way, the weights on your current motors should be around 415-450 lbs a piece, roughly. If your scuppers and boat currently handle well, I'd consider something similar in regards to weight, which would likely be Mercury. They make their 150 hp, 175 hp and even 200 hp FourStroke series outboards which weigh in at either 455 lbs for the 150, or 475 lbs for the 175/200, depending on what size you get. I personally think that Yamaha outboards look the best on Grady White boats, but they're also likely going to be the most expensive, as well as one of the heavier options. I'm thinking Suzuki will likely be the cheapest, followed closely by Mercury, then maybe Honda and finally Yamaha. Honda seem to make good outboards but they're definitely a bit on the heavier side, especially with their 200 hp outboard being over 620 lbs. If it were me, as mentioned above I'd likely sell your current setup and buy something considerably newer as your boat is now 24 years old, especially if you wanted to try and save a bit of money. If not, I'd likely first consider Mercury because of their weight, pricing, 5 year warranty and options for fly by wire controls. I imagine those are going to be considerably cheaper than going with some Yamaha digital controlled outboards of the same hp category. If you go to the GW website, they have the specs for a 232 Gulfstream with twin F150's on it as well as twin F200's. The boat with twin F150's will top out at 48 mph and have an optimum cruise of 29.2 mph @ 4,000 rpm while burning 13.3 gph of fuel and getting 2.20 mpg. With twin F200's on the boat, it will top out at 52 mph and have an optimum cruise of 29.8 mph @ 3,800 rpm while burning 12.7 gph of fuel and getting 2.34 mpg... or just slightly better numbers. If you want to go faster or get slightly better fuel economy when cruising then I'd recommend the 200's, if not and 48 mph is fast enough for you, I'd go with the 150's. Or you could even get the Mercury 175's. You've got multiple different options, of which I think another part of the equation would be who you have locally as a reputable dealership?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Get fly-by-wire / "digital" motors. its the 2020s...don't look back....

Zuke DF150APs or DF200APs.. I think the 150s will do fine on that hull.

If you wre sticking with just Lake Champlaigne I would even think single DF350AP duoprop.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Fly by wire 200's - it's not just the cruise economy and top-end speed but the torque and power in the lower and mid range when you need it to position yourself in the waves and/or avoidance situations.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry to hear about your father passing. If money is a concern, I'd honestly sell what you've got while it still runs and operates fine, and then get a newer boat with newer/new motors already on it. If money is no option, which is kind of what it seems like at least for a dual outboard repower, I'd consider a few options. First, I'm not sure what your current outboards are, in that are they an HPDI or OX66? Either way, the weights on your current motors should be around 415-450 lbs a piece, roughly. If your scuppers and boat currently handle well, I'd consider something similar in regards to weight, which would likely be Mercury. They make their 150 hp, 175 hp and even 200 hp FourStroke series outboards which weigh in at either 455 lbs for the 150, or 475 lbs for the 175/200, depending on what size you get. I personally think that Yamaha outboards look the best on Grady White boats, but they're also likely going to be the most expensive, as well as one of the heavier options. I'm thinking Suzuki will likely be the cheapest, followed closely by Mercury, then maybe Honda and finally Yamaha. Honda seem to make good outboards but they're definitely a bit on the heavier side, especially with their 200 hp outboard being over 620 lbs. If it were me, as mentioned above I'd likely sell your current setup and buy something considerably newer as your boat is now 24 years old, especially if you wanted to try and save a bit of money. If not, I'd likely first consider Mercury because of their weight, pricing, 5 year warranty and options for fly by wire controls. I imagine those are going to be considerably cheaper than going with some Yamaha digital controlled outboards of the same hp category. If you go to the GW website, they have the specs for a 232 Gulfstream with twin F150's on it as well as twin F200's. The boat with twin F150's will top out at 48 mph and have an optimum cruise of 29.2 mph @ 4,000 rpm while burning 13.3 gph of fuel and getting 2.20 mpg. With twin F200's on the boat, it will top out at 52 mph and have an optimum cruise of 29.8 mph @ 3,800 rpm while burning 12.7 gph of fuel and getting 2.34 mpg... or just slightly better numbers. If you want to go faster or get slightly better fuel economy when cruising then I'd recommend the 200's, if not and 48 mph is fast enough for you, I'd go with the 150's. Or you could even get the Mercury 175's. You've got multiple different options, of which I think another part of the equation would be who you have locally as a reputable dealership?
Had bad experiences with Mercury outboards - both were new and shit the bed within four years with the same dealer maintaining them. Not sure I can go back there.

Interested in the fly by wire options but don’t know anyone having them.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Bad news is the only Yamaha dealer in VT I trusted closed shop. Everyone else is playing the game of pay or go elsewhere. I am willing to pull boat to NH or ME if needed.

luckydude

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think 150s are not enough for that hull. I have a 228 and it is rated for 300hp. Your boat is a foot longer and 15 inches wider, so heavier. I really don't see how the same HP that they would put on a smaller boat makes sense. And Grady says you'll get better mpg with 200s.

If there is no Yamaha dealer, is there a Mercury dealer? I have a friend who is building out an Invincible cat and he went with Mercury (even though his current boat has Yamaha). He said they were lighter and more quiet, he was very impressed with them.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bad news is the only Yamaha dealer in VT I trusted closed shop. Everyone else is playing the game of pay or go elsewhere. I am willing to pull boat to NH or ME if needed.
I'd look at Suzuki then. Their DF200AP offers the fly by wire or digital controls and weighs in at 531 lbs a piece

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Twin 150 is plenty unless you are speed demon. I have 1997 Gulfstream with yamaha with 4 blade props. Pops right up when fully loaded for 8 day salmon trip. More is always better, so no shame in looking for twin 175 or 200s. I would like to eventually repower to 200s as it's more economical at my ideal cruise speed (~25 knots). But check your hull rating as my boat is only rated to 350hp. So I hear twin 200s will put me into uninsurable situation. My BIL says just put 150 cowling on them and burn your receipts. Hahaha. Would love to hear more reasonable workarounds if great grady folks have suggestions.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk