2001 Grady white Transom Problem

karen ann

Reaction score
Does a 2001 GW 222 Fisherman have wood in transom ? I was looking at this model & saw that the metal transom cap had rotted. i used my moisture meter & it indicated a heavy reading of moisture in the area of the motor where the cap had rotted on each side of the motor

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
There are a lot of factors that go into "wet" transoms. why type of moisture reading did you take - was the boat in the water, had it just rained, has it been inside its whole life? Was there swelling on the transom? Cracks? What kind of equipment did you use? What was the "heavy" reading you got?

I believe the 2001 year had Greenwood XL, resistant to a lot but still can get wet.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, wood.

But the area you sounded for moisture is, of course, going to have a high reading. Especially if it's simply rained lately. You're sounding an area that is currently an "open pore", or sponge, for water. But that does, in no way, mean that the area is bad/rotten. There's a lot more that goes into checking a transom than a simple moisture test. As noted above, there's lot's of factors that can skew it.