2021 Canyon 306 anodized pipework paint

ACV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Does anyone know where I can get some touch up paint and the paint specification for the anodized pipes in the cockpit?

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Are you sure that it's paint and not powder coated (what pipe work usually is)
Aluminum structures on boats are either anodized, painted or powder coated, mostly powder coated but not anodized and then painted or powder coated. Outboard lower units are made of a aluminum alloy and they are painted

Anodized aluminum pipes for hard tops is 98% silver coloured (but can have many other colours) as boat structures were some time ago and it's the most durable protection available, paint and powder coating can be of any color available.

You should fix that asap and by a professional to avoid that in a few years the damaged area will bubble and the powder coat flaking off.

The non treated aluminum must be totally freed of any white aluminum oxide powder (including the ones in scratches, dings and nicks) and sanded a patch around the affected places. Then the correct primer (zink-chromate) must be immediately applied and once dried painted with the paint of your choice. Best would be Awlgrip tinted to the GW color of the pipework. Follow absolutely any paint instructions and don't use any metallic wire brushes, only plastic composite ones.

If the structure is powder coated (what i guess) then same as above applies, but patch around the damaged space should be bigger.

I strongly suggest you to have this done by a professional to avoid that your hardtop looks very ugly in a few years.

If you post some photos of the damage we would have a better idea what is used as protection and how to repair.

Chris

Last edited:

ACV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Are you sure that it's paint and not powder coated (what pipe work usually is)
Aluminum structures on boats are either anodized, painted or powder coated, mostly powder coated but not anodized and then painted or powder coated. Outboard lower units are made of a aluminum alloy and they are painted

Anodized aluminum pipes for hard tops is 98% silver coloured (but can have many other colours) as boat structures were some time ago and it's the most durable protection available, paint and powder coating can be of any color available.

You should fix that asap and by a professional to avoid that in a few years the damaged area will bubble and the powder coat flaking off.

The non treated aluminum must be totally freed of any white aluminum oxide powder (including the ones in scratches, dings and nicks) and sanded a patch around the affected places. Then the correct primer (zink-chromate) must be immediately applied and once dried painted with the paint of your choice. Best would be Awlgrip tinted to the GW color of the pipework. Follow absolutely any paint instructions and don't use any metallic wire brushes, only plastic composite ones.

If the structure is powder coated (what i guess) then same as above applies, but patch around the damaged space should be bigger.

I strongly suggest you to have this done by a professional to avoid that your hardtop looks very ugly in a few years.

If you post some photos of the damage we would have a better idea what is used as protection and how to repair.

Chris
Yes it is powder coated. Like an off white colour. Few chips here and there and some corrosion where the stainless screws go through the mounts.

moklodge

Reaction score
Grady White aluminum framework is painted, not powdercoated. What pipework are you referring to?

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Yes it is powder coated. Like an off white colour. Few chips here and there and some corrosion where the stainless screws go through the mounts.
You should fix that as soon as possible however it is covered, powder coated or painted. What year is the boat?

The biggest problems would be the corrosion where the stainless bolts are, you may unscrew them and use a isolator sleeve or wrap the bolts in PTEF tape there where they touch the aluminum. There is also a isolating gel for that, isolator
Isolator sleeves and washers

A paint shop - particularly car body shops - could mix you a perfectly matching paint to touch up after treatment.

However, before the isolators you need to treat the corrosion in a perfect manner, particularly if the structure is powder coated.

Chris

ACV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
It’s the pipe work holding up the tee top. IMG_1619.jpeg

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
From the photo it's difficult to say if it's powder coated or painted, but it does not really matter and painted would be easier to overpaint.
From the color of aluminum below the chipped part i would say that there was no primer applied, zinc-chromate primer is usually green.

However, and as i wrote
clean the weld and around with a composite brush to eliminate all white powder what is aluminum oxide. All of it!
sand, degrease and apply immediately a coat of zinc-chromate etch primer
have some awlgrip or similar paint mixed to same color as pipes have and paint

You can touch-up the weld on the photo as it's not flat, other parts on a flat surface may need to be spray pained for a nice result.

You need to do this repairs as soon as possible to avoid that corrosion continues, grows and create more and deeper pits difficult to clean.

Ask GW regarding powder coated or paint, and if paint, what paint they use, ask also if this damage is covered by warranty as it don't look to me as you damaged the paint, it bubbled off because the weld under the paint and probably the lack of primer.

Chris