225 Freedom/Tournament VS Pursuit 235 Offshore/Denali

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am coming off a 2006 seafarer 228 with Yamaha 250 fourstroke. Loved the boat, fishing room and the the ride in big waves. Unfortunately I sold it and am looking for something more family friendly that can fish, pull skiers, and tubers too. I have been searching high and low for a GW 225 that has no bottom paint in excellent condition and preferably a freshwater but have had no luck. I am strongly considering a 2007 Pursuit 235 Denali also known as 235 OS (name change in 2008). I don’t see a lot off information on the models but am wondering if any of you left pursuit and went to Grady Whites. What’s your experience between the two? I understand this a GW forum but the pursuit forum barely gets used. Do I hold out for a 225? Thanks.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am also looking to go back from a Seafarer 228 to a Tournament 22, with a bracket and hard top. My previous boat was a tournament 22, with the 200 Yamaha on the transom, rather than a bracket. It was a much wetter ride, and I am curious if the bracket is what makes that much difference, as I have always assumed they were the same hull. Is a seafarer 226 noticeably wetter than a Seafarer 228?
As for the Tournament and the Denali, the first is a walk-through/bow rider, and the Denali is always a cuddy cabin, as far as I recall. I was interested in them when they first came out, but after seeing one at a boat show, the fore deck is so low that the cuddy cabin is sort of a crawl in, crawl out arrangement. Pursuit does make a bow rider, but I don’t think that it is a Denali.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am also looking to go back from a Seafarer 228 to a Tournament 22, with a bracket and hard top. My previous boat was a tournament 22, with the 200 Yamaha on the transom, rather than a bracket. It was a much wetter ride, and I am curious if the bracket is what makes that much difference, as I have always assumed they were the same hull. Is a seafarer 226 noticeably wetter than a Seafarer 228?
As for the Tournament and the Denali, the first is a walk-through/bow rider, and the Denali is always a cuddy cabin, as far as I recall. I was interested in them when they first came out, but after seeing one at a boat show, the fore deck is so low that the cuddy cabin is sort of a crawl in, crawl out arrangement. Pursuit does make a bow rider, but I don’t think that it is a Denali.
Thanks for the info. I do see the difference in the two between a walk through vs cuddy but am curious hull design how pursuit holds up and how it handles in rougher conditions that we have in the Great Lakes. Just wondering if anyone has experience on both brands. I’ve had nothing but great experience with the GW. May have to wait for a year to find the right 225. The 8’6 beam on the pursuit would be nice.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are multiple 225 Tournaments for sale on Boat Trader without bottom paint on them. What’s your budget and the maximum distance you want to travel for a boat? I can’t give any insight on the Pursuit other than the fact that I was considering the 2470 Walkaround when I was shopping for my boat. Though I do believe the 225 Tournament is the same hull as the 226/228 Seafarer.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are multiple 225 Tournaments for sale on Boat Trader without bottom paint on them. What’s your budget and the maximum distance you want to travel for a boat? I can’t give any insight on the Pursuit other than the fact that I was considering the 2470 Walkaround when I was shopping for my boat. Though I do believe the 225 Tournament is the same hull as the 226/228 Seafarer.
Thanks but I see all the ones on BT and they have been listed for a while. Looking for a private party sale. Hoping to find year 2012-2015.

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Prior to our 2002 330 GW we owned a 1999 2460 Denali. I would have move up to a Pursuit 3370 but the non removable fuel tank and cabin layout scared me off. After having rehabilitated both boats the Pursuit used beter materials and methods. Some observations scupper hoses never rotted out on the pursuit , there's access ports to the scupper hoses, it had tinned wiring without hidden connectors. Hatches didn't have coring going all the way to the edges leading to rot. We do love the cabin layout and fishability of the GW. The GW does ride drier and smother but that may be more about the extra length.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was there a cut-off year for the 225 having jump seats in the rear, and seat boxes at the helm, or was there some overlap? The full transom fish box/livewell, with the drop down seat, and the back-to-back seat, really seems to eat up all the cockpit space for a fisherman.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a 2008 that's being sold by a private party on Boat Trader for $40k in North Carolina. No bottom paint, says it's been stored on a lift, appears to need a trailer though.

I saw that one and reached out to the owner. I got some more detailed pictures and the was damage to the port side stern area where the previous owner hit a dock or piling. The repair wasn’t done very well.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was there a cut-off year for the 225 having jump seats in the rear, and seat boxes at the helm, or was there some overlap? The full transom fish box/livewell, with the drop down seat, and the back-to-back seat, really seems to eat up all the cockpit space for a fisherman.
I believe that would be a 223 with the jump seats but could be wrong. You don’t get the head with the tournament with the rear jump seats. They do make the 225 freedom/tournamant without the lounger. They are rare but out there. That’s my preferred set up. The back seat that folds down can also be removed for more fishing space.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I am not sure what kind of seas you plan to travel in, but I would definitely compare ride quality on the pursuit. Love their fit and finish but the hulls can be bumpy and wet. I had a Slickcaft in the 80s on Lake Erie. It was a tank but absolutely horrible hull and wet:) slikkers is same owner.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I am pretty sure when the Tournament added the head the jump seats and helm fish boxes went away. You can find a 225 with twin pedestal seating. You could switch to that set up from a lounger.