265 Express

OregonNick

Reaction score
Hi—First time post here. I live in Oregon and frequently fish the ocean. I am starting to shop for my next boat (once the current one sells), and have been looking hard at the 265 Express. I love the center helm and the overall layout/design of the boat, but have not yet had a chance to ride in one or crawl around one.
Is there anyone in the PNW that has one “locally” that I could take a closer look at—or considering selling if you do?

Would love any thoughts or opinions. I’ve also considered the 232, 270 and 282. It seems like the only thing I have come across thus far on the 265 to be aware of is overusing trim tabs causing bow steering in following seas… anything else I might be missing?

Thanks,

Nick

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
all good options. we do have a couple PNW guys here one may have a 265, but not sure.

my opinion is to get the biggest that you can trailer and afford. if not trailering, get the biggest you can afford.

Last edited:

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I used to have a 22ft North River Seahawk, but had been looking/researching 265s for 3-4 years before I finally decided to get one. Ride is definitely better than the NR, but takes some getting used to when out in the ocean. I don't use the trim tabs at all, I use the motor trim to correct any kind of list, or tell my passengers to move.

Transom issues is probably the biggest thing to look for when purchasing a boat of this vintage, mine fortunately was solid, but will probably need to be done at some point. Fuel tanks can be another area of concern, again due to age and if they were consistently rinsed down to prevent salt water corrosion.

I've done a few upgrades/repairs to mine since I've got it. Repowered, new electronics, new deck drain hoses, added an additional high water bilge pump/alarm, some some other minor things.

Overall love the boat and how comfortable it rides, especially when running for tuna. My fishing buddies appreciate it as well, as they would get beat up on some days in the aluminum NR.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm just north of you in Seattle and would honestly look at the 232 Gulfstream first, as well as possibly the 228 Seafarer also, if you don't mind a slightly smaller boat. I've got the 228 Seafarer and love just about everything about it. Those two boats also have a transom bracket, which give you a bit more cockpit space and don't tend to have the transom/hull issues like the models with the bang cap/plate. Both boats are more than capable of going out in the open ocean, though the 232 Gulfstream with a 9'3" beam is going to be a better riding and bigger boat comparatively. Either should suit your needs though quite well.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I took out the OP for some tuna fishing this last weekend on my boat. Was a nice ocean, but he still got to experience how well it does in some of the chop we had coming back in. But he also got to experience the kinda known issues on these, the quirkiness of being in following and quartering seas.

Reactions: Ekea and Sea Shift