330 Express Speaker Replacement

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2017 330 Express. Looking to upgrade all 6 factory provided Fusion Speakers. I have purchased the lastest Garmin Fusion 3i speakers. I was surprised to find out that the inside the cabin 6.5 inch soeakers not a direct replacement for the new 6.5 inch Fusion models. The new models are slighly larger. Anybody have any luck replacing these?

I also want to upgrade the two speakers above the Helm Station. The current speakers are 6.5 and the new ones I have are 7.7. There is plenty of space, I am just not sure how to cut into the fiberglass the enlarge the hole without damaging the fiberglass. The cockpit speakers where reltively easy, I was able to enlarge the hole and install them.IMG_7527.jpgIMG_8223.jpgIMG_7526.jpgIMG_8080.jpgIMG_8081.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You could probably just enlarge the hole with a jig saw.

Reactions: Captglasshole

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Its very thin as you see in the picture. I am afraid that the vibration of the jigsaw would cause cracks in the fiberglass. I used a joigsaw for the cockpit but the opening was reinforced with plywood.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I would not suggest a jigsaw except you are a jigsaw professional (but then you would not have asked) and no, using the correct blade it should not crack the gelcoat by vibration but can from sawing.
Depending on how much you have to eliminate i would use a sanding wheel on a dremel or if too much use a router or the dremel router bit to cut the hole and then the sanding wheel to finish it. If you have a buddy who is a good woodworker as him for help.
Chris

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'd think about the jigsaw, with the appropriate blade for fiberglass. But no matter what tool you are going to use, lay down a layer of masking tape over the area to be cut so that it is at least an inch on either side of the cut - with the circle, it may not be possible to get a full inch, since the circle is only about a half inch larger in radius. Mark the cut outline on the tape and go for it.

The other tool I'd consider is an angle grinder - but you need a VERY steady hand, and a series of super light cuts with relief cuts around the circumference of the circle.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Jigsaw, rotozip, or oscillating saw are the tools for this job. Definitely mask the area well with painters tape.

Rotozip is the least invasive but also pretty hard to control. Oscillating saw is easy to control but makes a ton of dust and your cut won't be super circular.

Any of the above, get a drum sanding wheel or flap sander and put it on a cordless drill, use that to finish the inside. (if you only have to cut away 1/4" you can do it all with a sanding wheel, but more than that isn't really practical)

Get a helper to hold a shop vac hose right next to your cutting blade and cleanup is 10x easier.

Reactions: drbatts

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 2017 330 Express. Looking to upgrade all 6 factory provided Fusion Speakers. I have purchased the lastest Garmin Fusion 3i speakers. I was surprised to find out that the inside the cabin 6.5 inch soeakers not a direct replacement for the new 6.5 inch Fusion models. The new models are slighly larger. Anybody have any luck replacing these?

I also want to upgrade the two speakers above the Helm Station. The current speakers are 6.5 and the new ones I have are 7.7. There is plenty of space, I am just not sure how to cut into the fiberglass the enlarge the hole without damaging the fiberglass. The cockpit speakers where reltively easy, I was able to enlarge the hole and install them.
You could buy a few hole saws and a mandrel. The smaller bit fits inside the old opening and the larger bit is you new opening. You have to be careful to get everything turning and slowly cutting. Works like a charm when my holes need to be enlarged. Jigsaw works too but not as neat.

Hole Saw.jpg

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
id tape it and use a finer tooth blade on a jig saw.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Enlarging a hole is the easy way to go... shrinking the hole is a bit harder ;)

For me... a Dremel is the way to go - I usually use a sideways cutting bit as it doesn't throw a lot of dust around. This would be basically the same as a Rotozip, as mentioned above. FYI, one direction cuts better than the other... I never remember which way till I start!

You don't have to be perfect with your hole, but like a haircut... you can always take off more!