89 25.5 Sailfish need understanding how to operate the old school head n holding tank

Searay54

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi,
Just bought this old girl. She has a MSD portta potty connected to a y valve to a manual hand pump which I believe is connected to the holding tank? How does the potty get emptied into the holding tank? The manual hand pump? Is there an overboard ?
Every boat I've owned has had a masarator thanks for your help and input.

seasick

Reaction score
I think the holding tank may be part of the main toilet itself.
Does it look something like this:

Searay54

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, it came with a MDS Porta potty, which is piped to y valve and to a hand pump.
So..I'm thinking the way it works or goes, pee in the potty, then hand pump it up into the holding tank?
The only question is, can the hand pump also pump it overboard too?
Here are some pictures of the head plumbing

Attachments

• 98843.jpeg
    98843.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 98845.jpeg
    98845.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 98846.jpeg
    98846.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 98848.jpeg
    98848.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 21
  • 98841.jpeg
    98841.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Hookup1

seasick

Reaction score
I haven't seen that arrangement before so all I can do is guess. Where in the plumbing is the Y valve located? f it is between the dual output sides of the Y valve, I suspect it is there tu pump overboard when one side of the valve is selected and when the other side is selected, the holding tank is piped to the deck pump out. If so, there will be a pumpout fitting probably on a gunnel.

The 'fresh' water is held also in the MSD and is manually added as needed I think

If I am right about the Y valve selecting the deck fitting or the overboard feature, the hose on the pump that goes into the deck through a hole most likely connects to a seacock and underwater thru hull'
Then again, I have been wrong in the past:)

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can see the Y valve, and its orientation, to the right of the MSD in the first picture. In the second picture, the top of the Y valve connects to an elbow going straight up, so that is probably a deck pump out. The bottom of the Y valve goes through the Whale pump, and down through the deck, so my guess is to a through hull discharge, not to a holding tank. The holding tank is the bottom of the MSD itself. The Whale pump only works the overboard discharge, and the deck pump out works on suction from the pump out station.
That’s just my guess from the pictures. I would replace the hand pump with a macerator pump.

Reactions: Searay54

Searay54

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone have a 1989ish Sailfish with a manual head set up like this?
Trying to understand how to empty the MSD potty either dock side or overboard. Thanks

Marcus

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone have a 1989ish Sailfish with a manual head set up like this?
Trying to understand how to empty the MSD potty either dock side or overboard. Thanks
Hi,
I can’t really help with your plumbing issues, but I do have a question about your head enclosure.
It’s hard to find people with an 80s 255 sailfish. I have a 1984 Sailfish 255. ( my head is a room with a door, but it’s got a removable, self-contained toilet system. It’s just a plastic cube that straps onto the little pedestal in the room. See photo.

does your head have a shower and does it all drain into the floor?

does the and faucet/taps work in your galley sink and is it gravity feed from your freshwater tank?

what horse powers are you running?

Im curious how different the entire boat is, 1989 vs. 84. Hopefully you can entertain a couple questions.

Thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Searay54

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 89 head is enclosed just like your also has ports potty but with a msd pump out attachment. It has a y value which can be switched to hand pump to pump it out overboard or sucked out via plate on the walk around. I don't have a shower or sink in the head. I have seen sailfish with a sink and removable shower handle in the head on the little shelve. There is a drain hole in the head floor that empties into the bilge under the stairs. Also I have a fresh water tank with pump that supplies a galley sink.

Attachments

• 20231107_150312.jpg
    20231107_150312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 98843.jpeg
    98843.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 98841.jpeg
    98841.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1

Marcus

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 89 head is enclosed just like your also has ports potty but with a msd pump out attachment. It has a y value which can be switched to hand pump to pump it out overboard or sucked out via plate on the walk around. I don't have a shower or sink in the head. I have seen sailfish with a sink and removable shower handle in the head on the little shelve. There is a drain hole in the head floor that empties into the bilge under the stairs. Also I have a fresh water tank with pump that supplies a galley sink.
Hi,
I have a fresh water tank for the galley sink as well but it doesn’t work. I can’t get water to flow from tank to sink.
I had an old, dead pump in the bilge Stb of the water tank. I assumed that it was for the shower so I removed it. (The shower head had been torn out by the previous owner)
Do you know if Grady ever had a gravity fed fresh water system, from tank to sink?

Thanks

Searay54

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My '89 25.5 sailfish has a electric flow water pump for the galley sink.
Also, it doesn't have a sink or shower in the head.
I'm having a problem with pumping out the MDS potty from the deck hole. I tried 2 times at 2 different pumps to up and out the waist but no go. Something must be blocked. The Y valve was in the correct position as well. I beleive the Y valve is functional as I can use the newly replaced manual hand pump to empty overboard.
Anyone have any ideas what might be broken or clogged?
Harbor master said the heads breather hose??
Thanks SeaRay54