'92 Overnighter - Drain plug while in the water?

AMGW

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I apologize for the stupid question but I just cant find the answer.
I have a 1992 Overnighter with a bracket for the outboard, I do not see in the manual where it states if the drain hole needs to be plugged or not when on the water.
Thanks.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer that has the transom bracket on it as well as do, along with definitely recommend, you putting the drain plug in. As you don't want it to fill up with up water and potentially have any issues, especially with regards to adding any additional weight than you already have to the stern of the boat.

AMGW

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've got a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer that has the transom bracket on it as well as do, along with definitely recommend, you putting the drain plug in. As you don't want it to fill up with up water and potentially have any issues, especially with regards to adding any additional weight than you already have to the stern of the boat.
For clarification, I have a drain plug on my bracket that is in place. On the boat side I also have a drain plug, that should be plugged up as well, correct?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For clarification, I have a drain plug on my bracket that is in place. On the boat side I also have a drain plug, that should be plugged up as well, correct?
You're talking about the drain plug for the boat itself? If so, then yes that definitely needs to be in place or else the boat is going to take on water and sink.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I apologize for the stupid question but I just cant find the answer.
I have a 1992 Overnighter with a bracket for the outboard, I do not see in the manual where it states if the drain hole needs to be plugged or not when on the water.
Thanks.
You're punking us, right? From what you wrote, it sounds like you're asking if the drain hole, which is underwater, should be plugged so water doesn't enter the boat?

I don't mean this in a negative way at all... but if this is truly what you're asking, you should really hire an experienced person to go out with you (at least) the first time and go over all of the basics with you.

AMGW

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You're punking us, right? From what you wrote, it sounds like you're asking if the drain hole, which is underwater, should be plugged so water doesn't enter the boat?

I don't mean this in a negative way at all... but if this is truly what you're asking, you should really hire an experienced person to go out with you (at least) the first time and go over all of the basics with you.

Its all good, I got someone experienced coming out with me (when I get out there). I knew it has to be plugged in or sink. I was just surprised to not see it anywhere (including the manual) and I know its common sense but it made me question it.

AMGW

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You're talking about the drain plug for the boat itself? If so, then yes that definitely needs to be in place or else the boat is going to take on water and sink.
Thats what I thought. I didnt know if Grady has some patent or something that you dont have to. Thanks!

Taribor

Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all, when in doubt, ask. It may be a good a idea to have a personal 'launch' checklist to follow. When I got my first boat back in the day I was so excited but couldn't figure out it wasn't coming off the trailer, even as I backed my truck in deeper and deeper down the ramp. Thankfully, no one was around to see that i had forgotten to take the trailer straps off and came within a few inches of sinking my boat. Now THAT was stupid :)

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
better to ask here than to sink at the ramp. this is a pretty good group here and pretty willing to help those that seek it.

like said, drain plug in.

Reactions: AMGW

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the OP was confused and is actually referring to the rubber scupper flappers on the back of his boat?

Reactions: AMGW

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Its all good, I got someone experienced coming out with me (when I get out there). I knew it has to be plugged in or sink. I was just surprised to not see it anywhere (including the manual) and I know its common sense but it made me question it.
No worries. Sometimes, you won't find common sense things in manuals - pretty normal thing. I guess it's kind of like a car manual where it doesn't specifically say that you have to put gas in the tank in order for the engine to run ;)

Use and abuse that person going out with you for all they're worth! :)

Never hesitate to ask!