Alaska bound

Magic69

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just bought a 2018 Seafarer that had no barrier or paint ever and has been used on Flathead Lake in Montana. I am taking the boat up to Kodiak Alaska and will only use about a week this summer then put on the trailer for storage. Next summer it will spend about a month in the water. Should I wait until next year to barrier/bottom paint? For the next 3 years it will only be used a 1 or 2 months or so. Any advice would be appreciated? Also anyone up in Alaska have a favorite bottom paint?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Montana? Interesting location to buy a Grady White from and I'm definitely a bit jealous as I had to go from Seattle to Maryland and back to buy my 228 Seafarer. If you're literally only going to use it for a week this summer and then put her back on the trailer then I don't see any reason why you couldn't wait until next season to get her bottom painted. If you've got the time and money to get her painted this year then it definitely couldn't hurt, though if she's just going to sit on the trailer all winter then I'd personally wait. Either way, good luck with the journey back to Alaska and post a few pictures when you get a chance.

Magic69

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Montana? Interesting location to buy a Grady White from and I'm definitely a bit jealous as I had to go from Seattle to Maryland and back to buy my 228 Seafarer. If you're literally only going to use it for a week this summer and then put her back on the trailer then I don't see any reason why you couldn't wait until next season to get her bottom painted. If you've got the time and money to get her painted this year then it definitely couldn't hurt, though if she's just going to sit on the trailer all winter then I'd personally wait. Either way, good luck with the journey back to Alaska and post a few pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks! What bottom paint do you use in Seattle?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks! What bottom paint do you use in Seattle?
I'm honestly not sure what brand of bottom paint was used on my boat as I bought the boat from a dealership back in October of 2021 in Maryland, though she was repainted right before I purchased her. Then, I trailered the boat back the 3,009 miles to Seattle, had a maiden voyage shortly thereafter getting back and then put her back on the trailer for the winter. Last summer was her first season out for about 3-4 months on my mooring buoy in front of our cabin on Whidbey Island. This will technically be her second season, though again the boat was bottom painted right before purchasing. So, I think the bottom paint should be good for at least another season or maybe two after this one depending on usage, etc. I know there are several videos on YouTube where guys will bottom paint their boats themselves and it looks rather easy to do so. I guess it just depends on how much you know about things like that, the cost of materials and how much a local shop will charge you. Back in 2020 I had a 21' Arima that needed bottom paint right before I went to sell the boat and good lord, most shops around here wanted close to $2k to paint it. Comparatively, when I bought my boat back in Maryland from the dealership, I noticed the prices on their sheet and for a 228 Seafarer it was like $600-$800 depending on the bottom paint used, how many coats of paint, etc.