battery setup

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using [2] house batteries and of course [ 2 ] starting [ all the same size] yes or no

Fishtales

Reaction score
gw recommends starting batteries for the motors. so it both can be connected to the motor, I'd go that route. Group 27 if they fit.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You should consider the Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club.

Group 34 43.10 lbs. 955 MCA 55 AH. $119.32
Group 24 52.40 lbs. 800 MCA 78 AH. Did not see availability at my store.
Group 27 61.55 lbs. 900 MCA 92 AH. $158.88
Group 31 67.35 lbs. 1,000 MCA 105 AH. $179.74

I used a Group 34M Duracell Marine AGM for my Yamaha F150's. About 9 lbs lighter than a Group 24 and 17 lbs lighter than a Group 27 with higher MCA rating but less capacity.

For the house I use a single Group 27 AGM. You could parallel two new ones. Or do a Group 31.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So you read my 265 post.
What is currently there? 2 switches on each side, start batteries on each side?
Can you use some of what you have?

How will you charge the batteries? Aux cables or ACRs? (Please don't say your going to switch them manually every trip to charge).
Shore power charger?

What access do you have to the switches? Is it a PIA to get to them?

Switchable breaker on the House bank? or a separate House switch?

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
So you read my 265 post.
What is currently there? 2 switches on each side, start batteries on each side?
Can you use some of what you have?

How will you charge the batteries? Aux cables or ACRs? (Please don't say your going to switch them manually every trip to charge).
Shore power charger?

What access do you have to the switches? Is it a PIA to get to them?

Switchable breaker on the House bank? or a separate House switch?
I just got the boat in August I’m changing all the batteries and wiring soon it has shore power and a charger thats what I was using

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Is there a diagram I can use
This is the diagram in my post. Please read thru that post because I don't want to repeat it all here.
I don't know your boat so I don't now what you have and where it is. Think about using the existing switches and wire as it may save you a lot of time and money. (assuming they are still good...)

You can get a diagram of your existing battery circuit from your owner's manual. If you don't have one you can download a pdf of your model/year for free from gradywhite.com. if you want to use ACRs to charge the batteries, look on the Blue Seas website for twin motorconfiguration of their "add a battery" ACR & mini Switch kits.

One change...
I have since changed motors so I had a longer wire and now the Port gunnel switch is on the Port Crank Lead between the motor and "Feed" and there is a wire from Batt2 to "2" post on the Port switch. That makes it consistent with the Stbd side connections. ( The Port gunnel On/Off switch is on the Port motor cranking lead. The Stbd On/Off/Combine switch is on the Stbd motor cranking lead and also on the House feed.)

kiGZ3wYl.png

Reactions: Blaugrana

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Thanks bro . I have a 96 272 sailfish I just got the boat in August and I’m changing a few things I’m starting with batteries it came with 4 but 2 Are the same and 2 are different That’s why I’ve been asking battery questions it looks like I’m going to go with the 27 series batteries

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My Sailfish has 3 group 24 dual purpose batteries with the starboard engine and middle battery wired in parallel and the port to the port engine.

Reactions: Joe arrigo

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks bro . I have a 96 272 sailfish I just got the boat in August and I’m changing a few things I’m starting with batteries it came with 4 but 2 Are the same and 2 are different That’s why I’ve been asking battery questions it looks like I’m going to go with the 27 series batteries
make sure you can fit four grp27 batteries. Not possible in my 265express. I am using four grp 24 Dual Purpose marine (24DP)
each motor has its own starting battery and there are 2 in parallel as the House bank.
24DP are plenty of starting battery especially since you will have a dedicated house bank.
I am quite happy with the setup and I fish the canyons overnight with the motors off.
Of course, if 27DP will fit, more is better...

You need to think about charging from the motors. You have original Yamaha two strokes or newer motors?
You might have Aux charging wires. Otherwise you need ACRs(auto charging relay) https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/1366/Automatic_Charging_Relay_[ACR]_Explained

Go to this page on Blue Seas and select 3 battery/2 engine (your 2 House batteries will be one Bank)
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/170/Battery_Management_Wiring_Schematics_for_Typical_Applications

Last edited:

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
make sure you can fit four grp27 batteries. Not possible in my 265express. I am using four grp 24 Dual Purpose marine (24DP)
each motor has its own starting battery and there are 2 in parallel as the House bank.
24DP are plenty of starting battery especially since you will have a dedicated house bank.
I am quite happy with the setup and I fish the canyons overnight with the motors off.
Of course, if 27DP will fit, more is better...

You need to think about charging from the motors. You have original Yamaha two strokes or newer motors?
You might have Aux charging wires. Otherwise you need ACRs(auto charging relay) https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/1366/Automatic_Charging_Relay_[ACR]_Explained

Go to this page on Blue Seas and select 3 battery/2 engine
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/170/Battery_Management_Wiring_Schematics_for_Typical_Applications
I have two stroke motors