best anchor for freedom 192

tee crenshaw

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 192
What is the best anchor for my 2012 Freedom 192?
The forward anchor locker limits the stock width size to 21" or less wide. I have a fluke anchor with a chain and 100' rope combo and have a difficult time setting this anchor. I have been boating for 40 plus years and this is boat 7 for me, so I know a bit about anchoring and understand scope. The stock of my current anchor is 18" so I do have room for something wider and my current anchor's weight is unknown. thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
What type of sea floor do you need to anchor in? What are you typical depths when anchoring.
How much chain is rigged? You can't have too much chain but you can have too little For your hull a general size estimate would be about 4Kg.
Your current ancho should have its weight stamped somewhere. It may be in kilograms or pounds
If you can't find the weigh, weigh the anchor

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's nothing special about your boat/hull that would make it harder/easier to set an anchor than other hulls. It's a normal, planing-style hull. Weights of an anchor are not the only factor - some lightweight anchors can set extremely well.

You mentioned you're familiar with scope... what depth are you in and how much scope are you using? With fluke style anchors, the number one reason they don't set is not having enough scope. The second reason is trying to use a fluke in conditions (sea floor) it wasn't meant for.

Which brings up the main question... what is the sea floor that you're trying to anchor in?

All that said... 18" sounds a little narrower, but then the boat isn't that big, either. If you've been anchoring for as long as you say, you should have a better feel for what you have and what you need?

If the sea floor is compatible with your fluke... and you're using the proper scope... then your answer is to either keep using that anchor and use more scope (or add chain... you didn't mention how much) or to get a bigger anchor.