Cabins of the 226/228 vs. 232 vs. 248/258 vs. 268

Acorn

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member of the site here. We are starting to think about downsizing from our 30 foot sailboat to a smaller walkaround Grady, and are looking for advice on which models to consider.

Our top priorities are operating costs and living/cabin space. We do not fish, and thus could care less about live wells, top speed, rod holders, deck space, etc. We would keep it on Buzzards Bay and trips would include day trips to the Cape, Cuttyhunk, MV, etc. Occasional overnights and weekend trips. There are three of us total in the family. We are assuming one of us will sleep on a pad in the cockpit for any of these boats, although it seems like we could squeeze three into the gulfstream if necessary.

I will only consider a single outboard, and top speed/performance is not a priority. Coming from a sailboat, as long as we can go 15-20 knots, i’m happy. No need to be going 30+. We would keep it on a mooring and rarely go into the dock except for fuel/pump outs, so I’m not concerned about needing twin engine maneuverability. I also used to drive a launch so I’m confident in maneuvering larger single screw boats in tight quarters.

The gulfstream and the islander are the only ones that seem to have a really usable cabin with galley. Has anyone done overnights on the seafarer or voyager/journey? Are the sinks in the seafarer and voyager/journey usable?

How is the cabin on the voyager/journey? Is the size of it any different from the seafarer?

Anything larger than these models are going to be too big for us. Cannot afford to run anything larger, although I’d love an express or a marlin or a sailfish.

Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions about specifically the cabins and overnighting capabilities of these smaller walkarounds. Galley capabilities, heads, sleeping situations, etc.

Right now we are leaning towards a 248 voyager with a propane grill in the cockpit and a sleeping pad between the helm chairs.

Thanks in advance!
Will

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm guessing that the 268 is the Islander? If that's the case, my neighbor has the newer model and I believe slightly larger 270 Islander. I don't think that boat is available with a single motor and I believe it's only available with twins, or at least it was originally. I imagine you could always repower it with a single main motor, but I' again would have to assume the majority of them are going to come with twin motors. His boat is massive, and extremely overkill for what we do with our boats, which is fishing and crabbing. His boat has a very large cabin, but I don't think they've ever overnighted on the boat before and even so, I'm honestly not sure if you'd want a boat of that size with a single main motor on it as it's a really big boat. I personally have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer and love pretty much everything about the boat. The majority of what I do on it is fishing and crabbing, though it's an extremely versatile boat in that you can do just about anything with it from cruising, hanging out at the sandbar, fishing/crabbing, etc. That being said, it does have its limitations, and I think the biggest one will be the beam as well as the cabin area. I've never overnighted on the boat before as I have the cabin moderately full with fishing gear and it's on a mooring buoy in front of our beach cabin, so there's no need for me to, but it can definitely be done. Again though, it's going to be somewhat limited to the number of persons as well as their size in that are you like myself being 6'2" tall and 275 lbs or are you 5'7" and 145 lbs soaking wet?

It's a pretty decent sized cabin when it's empty or has little gear in it, but you're definitely not going to fit 3 larger sized adults in there comfortably for long. I think two moderately sized adults would be "relatively" comfortable for a night here and there, but anything more than that and I think you'll want a larger boat with a larger cabin. The 232 Gulfstream is loved by many because it has a massive 9'3" beam for its overall 23' size. Most love the ability to have either a single or dual main motors on the boat and it seems like the biggest complaint about the boat is the cabin. Those complaints usually come in the form of the "bunk bed" style of cabin that it has. It's a much deeper/taller cabin overall than the 228 Seafarer with a few stairs leading down to it and would definitely be a bit more comfortable for 3 people, especially if it's 2 adults and a child that can fit on the bunk bed. I think probably the best design or your best bet for the boats you're considering would be the 248/258 Journey/Voyager in that you can still run a single main motor and the cabin is a bit more usable instead of having the bunk bed style of design like the 232 Gulfstream has. I believe it's also deeper/taller than the cabin of the 228 Seafarer, which I'm guessing you should be able to stand up in as well as give you more room? The cabin in the 228 Seafarer is I believe level with the floor and if you're 6' tall, you're not going to be able to stand up in there. I'm sure several others are going to be along shortly to give their input, but my opinion would be to see each model for yourself. Check them out in person, especially a 232 Gulfstream, should be available at your local GW dealership, as well as step onboard a 228 Seafarer/258 Journey and see what the differences are, how the cabins compare and so forth.

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Any of those boats are “tight” for overnights. It can be done, but living space is cramped and the water lapping up against the hull will keep you awake at night. Just my opinion.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 248/258 has the most room for sleeping if you put all the cushions in. At 6'1", I had no issues stretching out. The ceiling height is about 5'6". We had one.
The 268/270 has a smaller sleeping area. My head touchess the head wall when I stretch out. The ceiling height is about 6'3". Many 268s were sold with a single 250 ox66. They will do what you want, but will guzzle fuel and oil at anything but cruise speed.
The gulfies are good for a kid in the bunk and an adult below. Can't remember ceiling height.
228s have a foot less beam and have no step to the helm making the cabin height low. The ceiling is high enough to sit on the cushions, but that's about it.

billyttpd

Reaction score
The only one of these models with a separate head is the 268 ...Idk if that is an issue for you if someone has to go and people are in the cabin while overnighting. Have you considered a 25 Sailfish and powering it with a single outboard? They are usually a twin-engine boat, but I have seen a few powered by singles. You probably need at least 300 HP on the transom though because it is a wide heavy boat. These boats are all at least 30 years old now but there is a V berth, separate head "closet" in the cabin and another single "waist" berth under the cockpit. I charter on a 25 Sailfish, and they are great boats Grady Whites flagship in their heyday. They are before the SeaV2 hull era, but they are seaworthy nonetheless. When you said no to the Sailfish in your OP I guessed you were referring to a 27 or 28 Sailfish. The 25 is the original Sailfish. I also should mention you can stand up in the cabin.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree on the Sailfish, especially since I believe they've got the smaller sized sleeper behind the stairs going down into the cabin. The 282 Sailfish might also be an option and repowering, or finding one that's been repowered, with a single outboard, if you're still only wanting to go that route. Not an incredibly smaller boat than what you've currently with with a 300 Marlin, at least in terms of length, but it could be another option. A 268 Islander with a single 250 on it seems like it would be a dog considering that 228 Seafarer's come with a F225-F250 stock and with a dry weight of over 1k lbs less. Fortunately nowadays they have single 350+ outboards on up to I believe it's 600hp. Lots of options and possibilities, all it takes is money.

Acorn

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the 268 is the Islander? If that's the case, my neighbor has the newer model and I believe slightly larger 270 Islander. I don't think that boat is available with a single motor and I believe it's only available with twins, or at least it was originally. I imagine you could always repower it with a single main motor, but I' again would have to assume the majority of them are going to come with twin motors. His boat is massive, and extremely overkill for what we do with our boats, which is fishing and crabbing. His boat has a very large cabin, but I don't think they've ever overnighted on the boat before and even so, I'm honestly not sure if you'd want a boat of that size with a single main motor on it as it's a really big boat. I personally have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer and love pretty much everything about the boat. The majority of what I do on it is fishing and crabbing, though it's an extremely versatile boat in that you can do just about anything with it from cruising, hanging out at the sandbar, fishing/crabbing, etc. That being said, it does have its limitations, and I think the biggest one will be the beam as well as the cabin area. I've never overnighted on the boat before as I have the cabin moderately full with fishing gear and it's on a mooring buoy in front of our beach cabin, so there's no need for me to, but it can definitely be done. Again though, it's going to be somewhat limited to the number of persons as well as their size in that are you like myself being 6'2" tall and 275 lbs or are you 5'7" and 145 lbs soaking wet?

It's a pretty decent sized cabin when it's empty or has little gear in it, but you're definitely not going to fit 3 larger sized adults in there comfortably for long. I think two moderately sized adults would be "relatively" comfortable for a night here and there, but anything more than that and I think you'll want a larger boat with a larger cabin. The 232 Gulfstream is loved by many because it has a massive 9'3" beam for its overall 23' size. Most love the ability to have either a single or dual main motors on the boat and it seems like the biggest complaint about the boat is the cabin. Those complaints usually come in the form of the "bunk bed" style of cabin that it has. It's a much deeper/taller cabin overall than the 228 Seafarer with a few stairs leading down to it and would definitely be a bit more comfortable for 3 people, especially if it's 2 adults and a child that can fit on the bunk bed. I think probably the best design or your best bet for the boats you're considering would be the 248/258 Journey/Voyager in that you can still run a single main motor and the cabin is a bit more usable instead of having the bunk bed style of design like the 232 Gulfstream has. I believe it's also deeper/taller than the cabin of the 228 Seafarer, which I'm guessing you should be able to stand up in as well as give you more room? The cabin in the 228 Seafarer is I believe level with the floor and if you're 6' tall, you're not going to be able to stand up in there. I'm sure several others are going to be along shortly to give their input, but my opinion would be to see each model for yourself. Check them out in person, especially a 232 Gulfstream, should be available at your local GW dealership, as well as step onboard a 228 Seafarer/258 Journey and see what the differences are, how the cabins compare and so forth.
Thank you for your very detailed thoughts! Interesting to hear that the 248/258 does in fact have more headroom than the 228. I was able to climb aboard a 232 today and wow, that extra beam really makes the boat feel comfortable. But the cabin still felt rather small given that the entire port side was taken up by the countertop and sink.

Acorn

Reaction score
The only one of these models with a separate head is the 268 ...Idk if that is an issue for you if someone has to go and people are in the cabin while overnighting. Have you considered a 25 Sailfish and powering it with a single outboard? They are usually a twin-engine boat, but I have seen a few powered by singles. You probably need at least 300 HP on the transom though because it is a wide heavy boat. These boats are all at least 30 years old now but there is a V berth, separate head "closet" in the cabin and another single "waist" berth under the cockpit. I charter on a 25 Sailfish, and they are great boats Grady Whites flagship in their heyday. They are before the SeaV2 hull era, but they are seaworthy nonetheless. When you said no to the Sailfish in your OP I guessed you were referring to a 27 or 28 Sailfish. The 25 is the original Sailfish. I also should mention you can stand up in the cabin.
Thank you for that insight! Yes, I know about the older 25 sailfish, but initially wrote it off due to hull age. Do you know if there is wood in the transom?

Unfortunately, all of them that i’ve seen in person have not been in great shape, which may have subconsciously dissuaded me from the model. I love that they have that berth under the cockpit, seems genius. I can’t believe Grady didn’t continue with those.

Acorn

Reaction score
Any of those boats are “tight” for overnights. It can be done, but living space is cramped and the water lapping up against the hull will keep you awake at night. Just my opinion.
I’ve kind of accepted that any of these will be tight, ha! Good point about water lapping. This would just be 3-4 weekends per year at marinas with access to bathrooms/showers. So not a big deal to us. Out of curiosity, what’s the headroom like in your Voyager?

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Going from a 30ft sailboat to one of these smaller walkarounds will be like going from a multi-bedroom house to a studio apartment when you look at cabin size. If your going to overnight on it with multiple people including women, I would opt for a model with an separate and enclosed marine head with holding tank. You don't want to have to sleep on top of a porti-potty nor do want to wake someone sleeping to have to use the porti-potty. Also keep in mind that any walkaround grady is going to have a fraction of the storage space that you have on the sailboat. Don't discount livewells either as they are insulated on gradys and make great built in coolers.