Cleaning around oil tanks

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I want to take out my life well and clean under around oil tanks what’s my best suggestion in the way of cleaning all the old dirt out of there vacuum water etc. what do you think

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're on a trailer, spray with degreaser, let it sit, flush to bilge, and catch it under the transom drain. If you pull the tanks, there is a filter on the back, which many don't know is there until it stops up the flow of oil, at least on Yamaha tanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd try a few products - degreaser followed by a mold/mildew solution - try your local HD and look at the Zep line.

seasick

Reaction score
I assume you are referring to the 2 stroke oil tanks. If you decide to pull the tanks to get under them and your boat is an older model, be prepared for a shock when you see what the tank holding plate looks like. They have a tendency to rust away. Removing the tanks every once in a 'decade' is a good idea as long as you also drain out the oil, clean the inside of the tank and possible replace the filter on the back of the tank.Over time, those tanks can accumulate sludge.
You can clean the floor area with a degreaser and if needed, a lower pressure power washer. Just don't be too aggressive.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
Wow thanks I just got a 272 this summer and I want to Clean inside the battery area and the oil reservoir area once I pull the boat out of the water I know I have to take out the live well then I want to clean everything or vacuum everything underneath because it’s all very dirty