Comparing euro transom to bracket

Reaction score
I understand the pros and cons of the bracket and transom/notch but what about the euro transom. Will all GWs soon have the euro, I think the only remaining bracket models are the 22 seafarer and the 23 GS...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady luves the euro transoms, in the super sized variery as well.

The shorter Gulf and others will sustain a more noticable cockpit sq footage loss, than the larger models did, so more complaints can be expected. Not to mention another bump up in price and weight, aluminum is very economical vs. glass.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its worth checking out the "scuppers and motor in the water" thread while considering this topic. The bracket on the 225 is great as a place to get in the boat from the water or a dingy. Its great that the motor is out of the cockpit and there is no notch in the transom. The solid wall of transom storage is awesome too. I just can't figure out why the platform and bracket are stuck on to the transom instead of the hull coming back to fill in the space underneath them.

Quite often I find myself dragging the platform through the wake (until we get trimmed right) and marine growth is a real problem at the scuppers and the motor which is still partially submerged even in the raised position. If a "euro" transom replaced the bracket, but the real transom stayed where it is, would that solve these issues?

Just a thought...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Today's grady euros are not extensions, the running hull is all the way back to the engine mounting plane, so that's where your transom would go, and then it was cut down straight across very low, and from there forward is every thing else up of the euro to the coming pads, which are secured to a false transom.

Since there is a full hull forward of the motor = more running length for lift, as you asked for.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am sure it is here posted somewhere, but for just a quick answer, Between the 23 Bracket with twin 150's or 200's, can this boat plane on one engine if needed vs the 25 Journey Euro that I would be sure would do so on a single 150?

I have heard the bracket's transom configurations are not able to get up on plane with a single engine due to less floatation at the rear vs a Euro that is full length to the motor. ??

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
RobertH,

in either HP case, if the boats were propped as twins typically are for any HP, if the boat can plane on one as mine does (eventually), what do you intend to do once it plans ?

In either HP case, when it plans, you will be well below min WOT even with throttle buried in console. The motor temp in time (how long ? - don't know) will rise and overheat and self destruct or auto cut back RPMs to save itself (if it has feature). Overheat alarm will be sounding. I would care not to overheat motor, but others may not.

So, IMHO, If you want to run on one motor at planning speed, you have to reprop when you want to do it, or pick props for both so the motors are way underpropped. Option two will give you space shuttle acceleration but poor poor fuel economy and less speed, option one may mean going over side to change prop, not so easy even in calm seas. If you can get to a beach with no waves then very doable.

The other choice is to overpower boat, not one of your options listed, but entirely feasible, and with one set of props.

If what I wrote matters to you, then you may want to to verify it.
Especially with consideration in whatever sea conditions, people on board, and loading conditions, it will be done.

Good luck.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hear ya, but have heard from some folks in the past that running on plane on one engine will not destroy the engine if you don't try to kill it wide open. Just get it up on plane and get home.

So, 15 to 18 mph would do fine, but just don't try to hammer it home.

On a single engine that can't plane, max. speed will be 6-7mph, so that would take a very long time to get home.

Recently a guy was on the VHF and broke down not far from me and had to get in on one engine and said he was coming in on one and was on plane ok. Not sure what he had, but that was a relief since we had a major storm headed in our direction.

They also say that fuel is the major cause of breakdown so duel engines would not be a benefit.

I have only had a fuel issue one time where I have had engine issues over 8 times in the last 20 years, so I can't use the fuel issue as an excuse in my experience.

I know the newer engines claim to be more reliable, and know that they hold to that claim,but mechanicals do eventually break.

I have also found that if I had a boat with twin 150's vs 250's, the 250's would not necessarily be over hp'ed. They just run at a lower rpm and last longer, but you have to clean them out occasionally to keep them clean.

There are many variables on this subject based upon boat, load, props, etc, so just looking for anyone with actual experience to help me make an educated decision when it is time.