correct size for a bimini top

dlevitt

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a bimini top for my '81 Grady White Bimini 220 (predecessor to Seafarer). My boat has an 8' beam and is a walk around/cuddy. I've decided not to go the custom route and will buy a stock top.

There is existing mounting hardware on the boat (on the vertical sides of the cuddy) and the width from these mounting points is 67". However, If I measure from the actual fiberglass, I get 66". My confusion is that the size range is from 67" - 72" or 61"-66". I am leaning towards the wider top, which may, at worst, have to be bent in 1/2" on side. What do the experts say....?

Also, I'm considering buying it from GMItopdesign which uses the Sunbrella canvas. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Thanks.
David

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How about the height to the deck dimension for the pre-made?

dlevitt

Reaction score
The height is not a problem. I only need about 40" from the mounting point to give me plenty of headroom. In fact, I just want to make sure that if someone is about 6' tall, they will be comfortable. Any more than that, they can crouch down to be more like us short guys (5'9").

The top I am considering has a height range from 40" - 46". Before I order, I will measure again (actually a few more times... just in case). They also have a top that is 48" - 53" from the mounting point. I'm afraid that if I go too high, it won't shield me as much from the sun.

David