Different grades of enclosure material?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
After getting my hard top back on, I decided to see if the old curtains would still work. To my surprise, they still fit, but are a 6 out of 10 for wear. I honestly don't think they were ever used because the snaps don't line up with anything, but they were rolled up on the hardtop for most of their life.
So here is the question: were there different grades of material to use? I ask because at local GW gatherings, I've looked at newer boats with Stampid and clear panels. The stuff I have from 2005 looks like it could deflect bullets compared to the new stuff! That might seem like a good thing, but the curtains are so stiff and heavy that they are a PIA to use. My clear panels are at least 3x thicker than what I've seen on newer boats. I'm not sure if it swelled or if it was meant to be a more robust material. If I have these remade, I definitely don't want the same material even if I have to give up some durability. My old 248 Bimini curtain set was so much easier to store and use comparatively. What should I ask for to get the right balance of durability and ease of use?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did a one-piece front panel and wedged side panels all out of 0.040" Makrolon polycarbonate. The front panel is always in place and has a nice clean view with minimal boarders, no center split and no u-zips. The side panels can easily be removed and stowed but they can't be rolled. I modified my old panels to tie into the new ones so the full enclosure could be put up off season. It works for my use case - Fishing in FL in the Winter - but it isn't for everyone.

One modification for the next version is to increase the top border height to bring it below the tower aluminum. Up forward up top I'll add two screened zippered vents.

New Enclosure.jpg

Reactions: mykidzmomnow

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've wondered why people who leave them up all the time don't do what you did. Makes sense. I'm in the opposite end of the spectrum. I'll rarely use them, but would likely never use what I have because they are so difficult to store and install. Something light and flexible is what I'm after. I want to be able to roll them up and stow them in the cabin.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Stamoid material and Strataglass have been the best for me and I’ve owned 3 sets of curtains.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I like my "picture window" front panel. With the vent windows I get plenty of air.

My older GW had Navy Blue Sunbrella fabric. Plastic was nothing special. The Sunbrella wears amazingly and stay clean (at least it doesn't show dirt because it's dark. No fading.

The Stamoid is popular. Costa who makes all of Viking's enclosures uses it exclusively. I fish a few big boats with Costa enclosures. Overall I like it but after 5 to 7 years it will yellow and get dirty. My friend with the 56 F&S spent all day power washing his cockpit cover. These owners have Costa replace them. They also use it for cockpit covers, chair covers, etc. Easy to work with. These Costa enclosures are polycarbonate with some softer panels that are usually taken down for the season.

Most shops today want to build with Stamoid.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My factory Grady was what ever clear vinyl they used. They took abuse and it showed. I replaced them with Strataglass. They are much improved on the durability and clarity. I recommend the material.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My factory Grady was what ever clear vinyl they used. They took abuse and it showed. I replaced them with Strataglass. They are much improved on the durability and clarity. I recommend the material.
Is strataglass thin and flexible - conducive to rolling?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks like Strataglass is sold in 30, 40, and 60 mil. I would guess the stuff I have is every bit of 60. Anyone know what thickness GW uses?

Found this on THT:
"For functional use and visual effect, thicker is better. Due to the manufacturing process, thicker panels are more visually clear. Thicker panels also retain their shape better for vertical windows and in corners. If you have a window with a large rake (angled window) I recommend sticking with the 40 mil product as 60 may relax too much on warmer days.

30 mil is suitable for smaller boat windows.

40 mil is our most popular size, by far, and used on all size boats/yachts.

60 mil is best for larger yachts with tall vertical windows."
Also:
"I found the 40mil strata was really difficult to roll up when its cold, so I went with 30mil on the rolling pieces and 40 everywhere else."
My guess is the stuff I saw in person was 30 mil(shockingly thin), but it was used on large panels contrary to the advice from Strataglass.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FamilyAffair, I would reach out to A&J Canvas and speak with Lee, she can tell you your options that they can do for you. She owns A&J and they are the supplier for Grady-White enclosures. Like Smoky, they made me a set of enclosures for my 228 and I had the option of Stamoid or Sunbrella type fabric. I went back with the Navy Sunbrella and Stratoglass.

20170813_094947.jpg20170813_094915.jpg20170813_094857.jpg

Reactions: family affair

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
FamilyAffair, I would reach out to A&J Canvas and speak with Lee, she can tell you your options that they can do for you. She owns A&J and they are the supplier for Grady-White enclosures. Like Smoky, they made me a set of enclosures for my 228 and I had the option of Stamoid or Sunbrella type fabric. I went back with the Navy Sunbrella and Stratoglass.

View attachment 34285View attachment 34286View attachment 34287
I did the same thing on my 2002 330 about 5 years ago & they still look practically new - use Imar cleaner & polish products

Reactions: Ky Grady