Docking Cleats

EWOOD

Reaction score
I have a 1986 24 center console. The port side rear cleat is loose. from the top you can see the Phillips bolts and they are all still there. I assume there are some nuts and maybe washers missing from the underside. Does anyone know the size of these or how they properly go together

seasick

Reaction score
If there are nuts, I would assume they are still there. Getting to them is the hard part. See if you can feel around under the gunnel for the bolts.
I would try to TIGHTEN the existing bolts using a power driver. If the actual cleat is loose, try putting something under one of the wings and lift the lever to put tension on the bolts. Then try tightening the bolt without pushing down too hard.

If you cleat has two bolts on the top, they are bolts and nuts for sure. If your cleat has 4 bolts, they could be bolts and nuts or they could be screws.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Try tightening down the screws/bolts from the topside and see if they actually do tighten down, if not, pull one of them and take them to your local hardware store to get some matching washers and nuts. Probably even a good idea to just get brand new hardware as the ones you have are likely original and are almost 40 years old now. Some lock nuts also likely wouldn't be a bad idea either, or some lock tite, etc.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 1986 24 center console. The port side rear cleat is loose. from the top you can see the Phillips bolts and they are all still there. I assume there are some nuts and maybe washers missing from the underside. Does anyone know the size of these or how they properly go together
If things are missing, you'd have to take the bolt and measure it up to a new nut. We'd only be guessing - especially since it's 4 decades old and may have even been replaced. It's more likely they are just loose - tighten them.

Rph1225

Reaction score
Model
Escape
I have a 97 209 and the bolts used were 1/4-20, but best to get new ones. It is easier to replace with new than use older bolts. I also am adding some cleats and using 4" port access hatches for those so I can access the backside. It might be easier to just add that if you can't reach the backside.