Dometic optimus all electric steering

LimpetMine

Reaction score
Another project and possible upgrade to my 33 Express. I have ordered the dometic optimus all electric steering system and will be installing it in the next week or so. It is replacing some original seastar equipment from 2021, I've upgraded to a Garmin autopilot but my smartpump died, so rather than keep going with the existing system, I'm rolling the dice to see how the all electric fares. Happy to provide a review once I've used it a bit. Wondering if anyone else in his forum has made the switch. I'm losing the garmin autopilot integration, but never really used anything other than heading hold anyway, so no big loss there.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sorry. i was just saying if they do, why not just pop it in. i have to believe it's a minor cost related to the entire Optimus system?

Stella

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I repowered my 1998 272 last Fall with a pair of Honda 225's. Decided to go the full electric route and added the Dometic Optimus system. Very happy with the results, steering is now easier than your car. Added a Garmin autopilot as well, very easy installation to the system.

Attachments

• SES 2024 Helm.pdf
    697.6 KB · Views: 10

LimpetMine

Reaction score
sorry. i was just saying if they do, why not just pop it in. i have to believe it's a minor cost related to the entire Optimus system?
I actually was not aware they did have an integration to garmin, I really only use heading hold either way, the Garmin addition is another $2600 to get it to fully integrate. I'm just looking forward to easy steering and less fluids etc. etc. Maybe adding the garmin autopilot down the road?

Thanks!

LimpetMine

Reaction score
I repowered my 1998 272 last Fall with a pair of Honda 225's. Decided to go the full electric route and added the Dometic Optimus system. Very happy with the results, steering is now easier than your car. Added a Garmin autopilot as well, very easy installation to the system.
Excellent, great to hear. I'm just waiting on the parts at the moment. Looking forward to putting it together..

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting project. I have the mechanical hydraulic steering and mechanical throttle on my Zukes 250's. Do have a Raymarine EV 150 AP which Iike. Curious what cost and installation will be like. I think the EV 150 will tie in if wanted to.