Electronics hatch switch

Doc Lou

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2002 330 express. Replaced switch but actuator only moves in one direction unless I reverse the polarity, then it will reverse. Brand new switch so I believe it’s a wiring issue . Anyone have schematics on proper wiring? It’s an 8 pin switch.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check owners manual. Available on GW web site.

Are you sure you have the right switch? Should be a DPDT (on)/off/(on) momentary sprung so it returns to center.

Motor connects to common center pins (2 & 5). If it runs the wrong way flip the pins.
Wiring on either side reverses polarity (1 to 6 to +12vdc)(4 to 3 to ground).
Two top pins (7 & 8) are backlight.

Look at NewWire marine web site for switch types and pin assignment.

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sounds like the actuator is working correctly. The motor runs in forward or reverse based on the polarity of the current through the switch. Hookup1 above has it with more detail. If you can't figure out the wiring based on Hookup's description, google reversing polarity through a switch or controlling polarity through a switch. You should be able to find the proper wiring schematic. I don't recall the specifics of which pins need connecting, but that is how mine is wired.

seasick

Reaction score
Post the make and model number of the switch.

Doc Lou

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
thanks, will give it another try, is the schematics of switch back of switch with led light up or flipped?

seasick

Reaction score
The terminals should have labels molded in the plastic. It may be a numeric digit or a letter. If it were 6 pins, it would be easy to figure out but yours is 8 pin and I assume the extra 2 pins are for indication lamps or even back lighting on some switches. I guess you may not have documented the old wiring before you swapped in the new switch.

here is a diagram of typical wiring for your application

Last edited: