F Panda won't start. Any Ideas?

HMBJack

Reaction score
2006 Fischer Panda 4200 installed in my 330 Express. 985 hours.

My generator has been otherwise reliable but recently I can't get it to start.
The starter turns the engine over and over but no start.
About a month ago, I had gunk in my tank which plugged up the pump's pre-filter & fuel pump.
Installed a new pre-filter & fuel pump and all was well for about 5 hours of run time.
Then it shut down and I can't re-start it.

I have changed the Racor filter, vented the fuel line to get any air out and ensured no water is in my tank.
Added fresh fuel as well.

Today, I will check my fuel pump again.
I'm thinking it could be a faulty fuel solenoid. Does anyone know how to test this?
And, any ideas for me would be most welcome. Thanks...

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When was the last time your valve clearances were checked? If they get too tight or too loose, it will not start. I believe they’re scheduled for a check every 75 hours. Check those. Not real hard to do. The other thing is the battery must be very strong and since it’s a diesel must turn over quite quickly. I have had starting problems With corroded terminals, and also valve clearance. Fuel pumps are pretty reliable. Good luck!

Reactions: HMBJack

HMBJack

Reaction score
Good input Bill.

I will check the Valves again.
I did it a long time ago (maybe 200 hours?) and I forget how, I did it.
Any tips for me?

Thanks,
Jack

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d make sure you got all the gunk out. Could still be working its way through the system.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Update:
I was able to get my Fischer Panda started again.

I consulted with a graybeard Diesel Mechanic and he suggested I spray some Starter Fluid into the Air Intake.
I did this and my generator fired right up.

Evidently, the Mechanic said I had air somewhere in the fuel line. Once I got it to start, the pressure in the fuel line while running blew any air out. No amount of manual venting helped me. It was three squirts of Starter Spray (CRC for diesels) and all was good.

To access the Air Intake, I had to remove a plate with 6 small screws from the back (faces the transom). The Air Intake is up high very close to the piston head/fuel injector. The Intake is sort of oval shaped about 3" X 1.5" or so.

Hope this helps others who experience a non-starting generator.

isurus22

Reaction score
Check all the fuses and connections of the wires. One of my wire connectors was loose. They are all piled up at the bottom of the case and can get bumped and come loose. I also needed to replace my fuel pump, you can hear it running if it is working by pressing the button on the engine. Third, one year i forgot to turn the little valve switch on the top of the fuel tank.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Thanks for that. My wire connections + fuses and relays are all good.

Any use of Starting Fluid is a band aid and should not be viewed as a long term fix.
I still have an issue...
I am in the process of replacing the fuel soleniod & valve. On order now and I receive it tomorrow.
The one in it is 18 years old and I learned they can wear out and be affected by heat.
Fingers crossed that this is my issue.

HMBJack

Reaction score
As promised, here is my update...

Today, I received and installed a new Solenoid/fuel valve assembly purchased from Fischer Panda in Florida.

The generator started right up and ran flawlessly for one and a half hours before I shut it down (after cooling the vanes with no load for 10 minutes).

I will cautiously say that my 18 year old Solenoid/fuel valve with 980 hours was the root cause of my issue. I have read that solenoids simply wear out after a while and are often the cause of diesel fuel delivery symptoms.

Either the coils in the solenoid were faulty or the armature in the fuel valve got "sticky". My hunch is the armature stayed shut when it shouldn't or it intermittently did this after running for a while.

Regardless, I will run the generator on my next trip (Friday) and see if I can get it to run for five or so hours without dying.

Fingers crossed that my issue is resolved. And many thanks to those of you who offered suggestions to me - I really appreciate it!

Reactions: wspitler