FINALLY--ended up getting 225--thanks for all your help

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As you know I have had numerous posts about going from my 208 to a Gulfstream, 275 or 225. After a lot of help from here, a lot of reading and attending 2 boat shows I got a 2008 225 today. My reasons are as follows:

1.I love the wide beam of the 232 but the cuddy is just wasted on us and we don't go out for serious fishing junkets way offshore.

2.I wanted the twin motors of the 275 but given the weight I was pushing the envelope on my lift and the size of my boathose, not to mention going from 20 to 27 may be too much of a jump for my docking skills --maybe later. I really wish Grady had gone with a 25 ft dual console instead of jumping to 27.

3.My wife loved the 225 with all the family room front to rear, stereo, creature comforts. Once she bought in it may things a lot easier. As previously mentioned she already puts up with Vipers and a Caddy XLR-V in the garage.

Anyway, you guys were a lot of help. I hope I will find at least a marginally better ride than in in 208 and a better family boat in general. I will miss the security of the twins, but everyone tells me the Yamaha 250 is bullet proof and should not leave me stranded. Thanks again.

striped bass

Reaction score
Congratulations! You will notice a big difference. What options did you select? Please post a pic with you and the wife in it when you take delivery.
RE: Two engine security not really necessary. Just take out a seasonal membership with USTow Boats or Sea Tow as a precaution against power plant failure. Cheap for the money and great for the piece of mind.

GWcpa

Reaction score
That was quick. Congrats. I like that model. Did you trade the 208 ?

I hope to see it out on the river this summer.

Southeastern I assume is the dealer. Good people there.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Charles, thanks. Options are:

Vista top front, sidecurtains

livewell, washdown,
stereo
deluxe II chair
sleeper seat
full swim platform
sun platform, with cushion

I want an upgraded GPS. My dealer carries Lowrance. any ideas?

striped bass

Reaction score
GPS Ideas. I would suggest the Garmin 440S (GPS, DS, Fish finder, plotter, etc). Tremendous color, clarity and resolution. It fits in the console with plenty of room for the VHF and AM/FM stereo. This allows it to be kept out of the weather.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you got the factory stereo, its mounted to the side, with the new Kenwood Commander display on the dash.

I've had good luck with both Lowrance and Garmin...regardless of which one you get, go with the biggest screen you can afford as it makes a huge difference.

If you want to put both the GPS/FF and VHF in the e-box, you will be limited to a 6-7" screen. You could flush mount both in a panel that would cover up the opening, and if you do that, you could potentially get a bigger unit in there. The other options would be to mount the GPS/FF in the e-box and flush mount the VHF below the steering wheel, or consider a remote VHF setup with all the controls in the microphone.

Great choice on the boat...I'm looking hard at a 225, as well.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As you may notice from other postings, we just bought a new 225 also, although it is a 2007 model. A Garmin 4210 will fit a 10" screen in your electronics box. From playing with the unit at the boat store - It rocks. The only downside is that you will need to flush mount your VHF radio down below the controls (its a little low.) Some folks don't really need the biggest screen they can get, but for myself, I want to see the chart or fish finder from the transom while fishing.

Our mooring field is a little shallow so we couldn't really get a 275 even if the cost wasn't a problem (which it would have been!) That being said - I am convinced that the 225 is the best design for a dual console out there. We are delighted with our 225.

Way to go getting yours!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My last boat had a Lowrance 5" color combo unit. I liked it alot but the refresh rate was slow. I will go look at the LCX28C-HD.

I asked the Grady dealer if they had any advice before I started, and they were one of several "knowledgable" people who said to skip Lowrance altogether. I believe the reason they gave was service. I have heard from several retailers that you can't even get them on the phone if you are a dealer, whereas Garmin is pretty good about that stuff.

I heard good things about Raymarine also, but conventional wisdom indicated that their controls are not very intuitive. One such comment came from a friend with a new 29 footer who said he wished he had gone with Garmin. The message from everywhere seemed consistent so I focused my shopping on their stuff.

It should be noted that I also heard good comments about Foruno and North Star.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Slingshot,
Thanks for the reply but my experience w/ Lowrance has been really good. I've owned an LMS 240 for five years and my dealings with their customer service have been great. They have sent me upgrade cards to upload and I never have to wait long on hold to speak with customer service. They were bought out by a Scandanavian parent company a few years ago, maybe Si-Tek but I can't remember. I have not ever had to send a unit in for repair so I can't comment on that. Generally I have been very happy w/ Lowrance. I just hate to have to learn another manufacturer's way of doing things unless that manufacturer's product is significantly better. I've finally gotten fluent w/ the Lowrance.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it. I never needed service on my unit and I did like it alot. I have to say that I bought the Garmin based on a near unanimous chorus of advice. I will feel like a total moron if I don't like it as much as my old Lowrance.

I think you should go with what you feel good about. I will say that you should go to a West Marine and play with the other manufacturers stuff. The reason I say that is that you may find that once you know how to operate your Lowrance unit, the others are not that different. At least that's how I felt when I played with the Garmin stuff.

I hope you have good luck with whatever you get!