Fisherman 222

GWFM222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I am new to Great Grady and just purchased a 2005 Fisherman 222. My plan is to go out and fish it before taking on any projects to customize.

There’s one area that I am hoping to get some input on and that’s locating a chart plotter outside of the glove box in the console. I am looking for at least a 10” unit so that won’t fit in the dash by the gauges. I was considering mounting on the overhead electronic box but wasn’t sure if that would be to high.

Has anyone found a better location for a chart plotter outside of the glove box?
Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My thoughts on the matter, and admittedly I have no experience with a 222 Fisherman, but I'd either mount something inside of the electronics compartment/dashboard behind the wheel or something outside of it. I've got a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with a Garmin 943xsv located inside the electronics compartment and really like it there. It's protected from the elements like the sun and the rain, it can be locked up, it's easily visible when either standing or sitting and I have no complaints with the location. I prefer Garmin over the other brands for being easy to use and from what I've seen, really good products that seem to be at least comparable to the others out there. I also prefer touchscreen only, and without any buttons on the MFD, so that's one of the reasons why I went with the 943xsv. Another reason was the price in that I got it for $1,399 and didn't want to spend another $1,000-$1,500+ getting a larger 10"-12" unit. A lot of guys have pulled off the screws/hinges and enclosed the compartment with starboard or something similar and then flush mounted a display on the outside. I briefly considered doing that and then decided to go against it for the reasons stated above as well as I didn't have the time or resources available right before replacing my old unit.

The old unit was a 7" touchscreen Garmin from around 2010-2013 that went belly up on me when I did a software update, and of course this happened like a week or less from the king salmon opener. The previous unit was installed in the electronics compartment, so I just continued to use that area as well for the new one. As mentioned before, lots of guys have done the flush mount thing and have been happy with that. I don't like it that way because it's not secured, it's exposed to the sun all the time as well as any inclement weather like rain, etc. If you're looking for a 10"-12"+ unit that is touchscreen and is from Garmin, I'd consider the 8610xsv, or the 1243xsv. If you don't like touchscreen and want buttons on the MFD, there's the Garmin 1242xsv as well as the Echomap 106sv as well. Lastly, I don't think mounting it in the electronics compartment above you would be very comfortable in that you'd be staring up the entire time, especially when sitting down. Obviously the 228 Seafarer and the 222 Fisherman are quite different in terms of boats and layout, but it seems like the overhead electronics compartment is almost straight up, and that doesn't seem comfortable looking straight up, especially when sitting down. Here's a similar boat to yours for sale on BT, I don't have any affiliation with it, but it shows a few pictures with potentially some different ideas as to what you could do with your setup. And I'm sure someone will also be along here shortly with some firsthand experience as well, but either way good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWFM222

222GW

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
You’re going to love the 222. Here is how mine is set up. It’s a 9” Screen Echomap. I am going to be replacing it with a 943xsv so I can add radar. I was also thinking about adding a 743xsv on top of the console to make it a little easier to navigate when running. I have had no issues with the gps being out in the weather and I do not cover the console. If they really want to steal it then they will get it no matter where you have it installed. I don’t think the 12” will fit and being that it’s double the price I’m not even going to try and make it work. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8603.jpeg
    IMG_8603.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 20

GWFM222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
You’re going to love the 222. Here is how mine is set up. It’s a 9” Screen Echomap. I am going to be replacing it with a 943xsv so I can add radar. I was also thinking about adding a 743xsv on top of the console to make it a little easier to navigate when running. I have had no issues with the gps being out in the weather and I do not cover the console. If they really want to steal it then they will get it no matter where you have it installed. I don’t think the 12” will fit and being that it’s double the price I’m not even going to try and make it work. I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your input. It really did help. I changed out the two lexan doors to one starboard door and was able to fit a Raymarine Element 12. The door is hinged on the top with a spring hatch opener so I can open and utilize the glove box for storage.

I am planning on putting a smaller unit as a backup on top like you as well.

Finally got out yesterday afternoon for maiden voyage and already love the boat.

Thanks again.

222GW

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Thank you so much for your input. It really did help. I changed out the two lexan doors to one starboard door and was able to fit a Raymarine Element 12. The door is hinged on the top with a spring hatch opener so I can open and utilize the glove box for storage.

Finally got out yesterday afternoon for maiden voyage and already love the boat.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.
Do you have a picture of the 12” screen set in place? Did you have to make the opening larger to get it to fit?

GWFM222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Do you have a picture of the 12” screen set in place? Did you have to make the opening larger to get it to fit?
No I will get pictures of everything this week

GWFM222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I made up a new single panel from black starboard, used existing latches and hinges to make it look original and allows access to the storage space behind it. The wiring comes from above so you are able to open and close the door without any stress on the wiring harness. I put some suction cupped storage holders in the “glove box “ area so everything is secured. Great spot for wallet, phone, spare glasses and items like that. I attached two pictures before with Axiom behind original lexan (can see the storage) and after with 12” Element.

The 12” is a game changer from the smaller units. I like the simplicity of the Element, prefer buttons over touchscreen, it has the ability for radar (winter project) and feel comfortable using it. All the electronics manufacturers make quality products now I think it really comes down to use, options needed and comfort level.

Attachments

• F11C6A76-5E61-4E14-ACBA-F12E37973C5A.jpeg
    F11C6A76-5E61-4E14-ACBA-F12E37973C5A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 01D9BC0C-48B9-4C30-8D9E-0ABDAD5D7814.jpeg
    01D9BC0C-48B9-4C30-8D9E-0ABDAD5D7814.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

222GW

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Looks great! Did you buy the boat with the enclosure or did you add that as well? I was looking to add one so trying to get ideas

GWFM222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Looks great! Did you buy the boat with the enclosure or did you add that as well? I was looking to add one so trying to get ideas
Came with the boat. We like it a lot makes for a quiet ride and will be warmer as the fall fishing comes around.