Flush mont radio...

boykinjc

Reaction score
Anyone ever flush mounted a CD player on a Grady White Sportsman 180? Im looking at somewhere other than the glove box, as I already have a Garmin and VHF in there?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on the make or model of a head unit and speakers, I would appreciate any suggestions. I am looking to not spend a fortune on the radio though. Thanks for the help guys.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm toying with this same upgrade too.....but I think I'm going to create a panel and close in the glove box. I think I can fit a 5" Garmin combo unit + VHF + radio all on the same panel. The only concern is I'll have to use 1/2" starboard to support the weight.

You can flush mount a radio in the panel underneath the tach and speedo. You also can go with a black box unit and remote head. I may go this route for my setup.

boykinjc

Reaction score
Parthery said:
I'm toying with this same upgrade too.....but I think I'm going to create a panel and close in the glove box. I think I can fit a 5" Garmin combo unit + VHF + radio all on the same panel. The only concern is I'll have to use 1/2" starboard to support the weight.

You can flush mount a radio in the panel underneath the tach and speedo. You also can go with a black box unit and remote head. I may go this route for my setup.

Did you ever decide on a radio setup? What do you mean by a black box unit and remote head?

Anyone have any pictures of their setup on a 180? Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought a JBL MBB18 black box setup on eBay. It arrived yesterday.

I'm likely going to add the BlackBerry Music Gateway (via RCA) so that I can stream Pandora from my phone to the stereo.

I don't know if it will get installed before me and the boat leave for a week in Florida, but my plan is to mount the head unit to the right of the steering wheel, in a space that is currently occupied by a 2 prong plug for a spotlight. (The spotlight will be rewired to plug into the cigarette lighter). The head unit is a bit bigger than I thought, but it will fit fine in that spot.

The black box will be mounted to the inside of the console. I intend to clean up some wiring while I'm in there as well.

I'm also going to have to relocate the VHF to the top of the e-box...its currently attached to the top of the existing AM/FM/CD enclosure.

I'll post some pics as the project develops.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finished up the installation...went with a JBL MBB 218 Black Box setup.

Previous setup looked like this...

IMG00015-20100214-1703.JPG

Mounted the face in the spot where an existing plug for the spotlight was. The spotlight will now be plugged into the cigarette lighter which is on the bottom forward edge of the console above the cupholder.

IMG-20110421-00010.jpg

The black box was mounted to the inside of the console wall and the wiring was a short run to the remote and to the fuse panel.

IMG-20110421-00007a.jpg

Also repositioned the VHF, and added a RCA lead that will sit in the glove box. That way I can plug in the iPod or the Blackberry music gateway so I can stream Pandora.

Same Aquatic AV speakers...but with a new head unit, they sound like brand new :mrgreen: