Fuel issue resolved -265 Express

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So from my original post last year of my first ocean run in my 265, I mentioned I was having a stalling issue when running on my main tank. Would happen pretty randomly. Sometimes pretty quick, sometimes after running a while. Would generally start out the day running on the main, and if it happened, would just finish the day on the Aux tank.

Replaced the fuel lines this off season and went out yesterday for the first time this season, and still had the same issue. Checked the Primer bulbs when it happened and both were sucked in. Pulled the main tank fuel cap off, no change. Switch the fuel valve to aux, bulb pumped up again. So figured there was a restriction somewhere.

I removed the brass fittings where the lines go into the tank, thinking they'd be anti-siphon valves, they weren't. Removed the 90 degree fittings that those brass fittings screw into on top of the tank. There is a pickup tube attached to the 90 degree fittings with a screen on the end. Think I found the problem.

20240630_162640.jpgFB_IMG_1719797782261.jpg

The black stuff feels like silicone. It looks like the previous owner used some on the sending unit gasket and probably got a little overzealous and some got in the tank.

The 2nd picture isn't mine, but for reference The brass fittings and 90 degree fittings look similar.

Hopefully get it out in the next couple of weeks to verify it's fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Black and slimy feeling? Could be the inside of fuel fill hose deteriorating from ethanol. As you fuel up, you're washing the deterioration into the tank and the pickup is sucking it up. How old is the boat?

But if it's bigger chunks, very well could be silicone as you thought. Ethanol deterioration is smaller particles.

Zooming in on your pic, that looks like hose deterioration from ethanol.

Screenshot_20240701_054420_Chrome.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I would guess that there is more of the gunk in the bottom of the tank. Yes, it could be the fill or even the vent hose that is breaking down.
Silicone is not a compatible sealant for gasoline applications, neither is RTV.

Reactions: Saltyone

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Black and slimy feeling? Could be the inside of fuel fill hose deteriorating from ethanol. As you fuel up, you're washing the deterioration into the tank and the pickup is sucking it up. How old is the boat?

But if it's bigger chunks, very well could be silicone as you thought. Ethanol deterioration is smaller particles.

Zooming in on your pic, that looks like hose deterioration from ethanol.

View attachment 34354
Now that you mention it and looking at it zoomed in, doesn't look like silicone, can see the angle looking pieces mixed in and on the side. Won't get into the whole ethanol vs non-ethanol argument, but could just be because the hoses are probably 25 years old, seeing as its a 2000 265. ;)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup,,, very good possibility. Change out all hoses and drain/clean tank to get all the particles sloshing around in there out.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not saying it isn’t pieces of hose but I'm pretty sure alcohol rated hose has been the norm for 30 years. My deck drain hoses were disintegrated, and the only alcohol they ever saw was a spilled beer.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Yup,,, very good possibility. Change out all hoses and drain/clean tank to get all the particles sloshing around in there out.
Yeah, Im probably going to run the tank down as much as possible, so I dont need to figure out a way to store 130g of fuel. Then try to figure out the best way to get inside the tank to clean it out.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well looking for some suggestions.

Took out a couple of compartments to gain access to the hoses. The hoses appear to be like the scupper hoses I replaced and have the wire coil in them.

With the scupper hoses I just used a dremel to cut through the metal wire coils to get them to "spring" open off the barbed ends, since they were basically formed around them. Obviously don't think it's a good idea to do the same around the fuel tank. Though I'm not entirely sure the neck off the tank is fully barbed like the scuppers. But I'm pretty sure the neck off the gas cap is, and also plastic.

What other ways would you suggest getting those hoses off?

Trying to route a new hose is also going to be the challenge. It comes off the neck and goes though a bulkhead, to behind and then under the waste holding tank and then towards the center.

20240701_201837.jpg

20240701_201919.jpg

I circled where it goes through and the red line in the 2nd picture is where it's underneath. It ends about 1.5ft to the left through another pie hole.

For that I'm thinking once the hose is off drilling a couple of holes in both the new and old hoses to tie them together so I can feed the new hose through as I'm pulling out the old one. Thoughts on that?

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well doesn't appear that it's an issue with the fill hose.IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0020.JPG

Looks like this all the way down.

Time to check the vent hose.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Vent hose appears to be good as well. IMG_0014(1).JPGIMG_0015(1).JPG

Maybe the previous owner changed the hoses at some point, and that's left over stuff. Hard to say at this point.

At this point, just going to run it. After each run, I'll pull the tubes out, since it's pretty easy access, until they come back clean.

seasick

Reaction score
If the tank is full or almost full, don't pull the pickup tubes, gas will pour out into the bilge.
I would pull the sender out ( with a half or less than of as) after the boat has sat for a few days and with a hand pump, pump out whatever you can from the bottom of the tank. Whatever clear gas you pump out can be put into the aux tank.
One thought I had a while back in the discussion was if it were possible that something got into the tank like the cap from a bottle of additive that over time disintegrated in the gas. Probably will never know.