Fuel issue

Danny O

Reaction score
I purchased a 1989 sailfish 252 in 2020. Fuel tanks were replaced in 2015. I’m getting fuel restrictions alternating between port and starboard engines. When I change the fuel filters, I noticed what looks like sand in the filter. I purchased gas from a reputable marina. Wondering if anybody has ideas on what this issue could be causing this.

seasick

Reaction score
Do you have enemies?

Have you added ant treatments to the gas recently?
Is the sand like material hard or can you mash it?

Which filters had the sand i them and how did you determine that? For example, did you drain the gas from the filter into a clear jar to see what settled out.

Did you check the motor mounted fuel filter for contamination? ( Clear bowl filter if there is one.)

What model motors do you have?

Reactions: Sardinia306Canyon

Danny O

Reaction score
Issue happens typically while at cruising speed approximately 3200 rpm’s. I notice that one engine will slowly start to lose power and eventually stall. Bulb is soft. I’ve had the issue with both engines, but typically not at the same time. I’ve recently re-powered to ETEC 200s in 2021 From Johnson Ocean Runners 200s. I am attaching photos of the drained gas from the filters. I do add Star Tron on each fill up

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpeg
    IMG_6832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Could be your fuel lines degrading from the inside out. Were they replaced with the tanks? Was there a switch from non ethanol to ethanol fuel? The ethanol will scour the tanks and lines and clog your filters.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Older fuel lines sometimes separate from the inside wall. They will close up like a clogged artery from the engine fuel pump vacuum. I would change ALL the fuel lines out with new ethanol resistant lines. Cheap insurance. Don't over analyze it - just do it. As for the sand the filters are doing what they are supposed to. Keep running it and checking. I'm using clear-bowl Sierra fuel filters instead of the Yamaha cans.

NHAngler

Reaction score
Ethanol can separate the inner lining of a fuel line and as mentioned it can stop or restrict fuel. It can also add debris as well. That sand might actually be shredded particulate from the line.

If you did not mention the sand, I would say you have water in your fuel or that the primer bulb is failing. The spring and ball can come loose and the ball will get siphoned into stopping the fuel when there is an increased demand.

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
My boat sat for three years at one point. I replaced the fuel lines, flushed the tank, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the filter, replaced the fuel pumps, etc. The boat ran at first but then stopped running.

After checking everything else, I rebuilt the carbs again, finding them full of "sand" that I could rub and make dissolve. My guess was that it was part of the ethanol chemical reaction, and I was still working old fuel out of the tank.

I flushed the tank and lines again, and repeated this cycle 2 more times, each time finding a bit less sand. After repeating the carb rebuilds 4 times it's running like a top.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Need to see the fuel pictures from a side view - after they have sat for a while. And, ideally, take the whole filter off and dump it into the container.

What does the fuel look like in the on-engine filter?

Take notice if the the fuel bulb starts to flatten. And/or, try running with your fuel cap off and notice if, when the issue happens, removing the fuel cap produces a hissing noise. These things will tell us a lot.

If your tank gas turns out to be good, connect a portable tank directly to the engine and run that way - you'll probably need some fuel jugs to keep refilling if it takes a while for this issue to happen.