Fuses are smaller?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Before I order the next fuse, just wanted to see if you all are seeing the same thing I am seeing. It seems normal, given technology, just figured to double check.

I am noticing the new replacement fuses fit, but are considerably smaller in size than the originals. For instance, the cabin main breaker 30amp, cannot even google the thing, the new one is like 1/3 the size (width) of the one I am taking out.
Anyone else noticed that?

Thanks.

just hate ordering something and then having to send it back.

the dash panel breakers were half the size of the ones I took out.

R

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
This link helps to explain how to identify the different types of fuses.

picture from the link for quick reference:
8C62601F-4D98-4E20-9707-01F4BF6A1337.jpeg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Uh, that is not the same as this: lol

The red one is the new one. The white one is the current one.

An update: I contacted a company on ebay that specializes in this sort of thing. Stu's Switch Supply. Will let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

• 517Zcu5ZzWL.jpg
    517Zcu5ZzWL.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My mistake, Russ, I should’ve read your first post a little more throughly. I believe you’re referring to breakers, not fuses. I was having the same problem as you in sourcing OEM breakers (with reasonable shipping costs) and ended up converting my switch panel to fuses instead of breakers and my helm feed to a surface mount blue sea systems breaker.

You should be fine as long as the new breaker has the same voltage/current rating as the original; everything I found had a smaller profile than original too. Hope the mounting is the same and it doesn’t give you any headaches!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I noticed how my brand new hard top panel is fuses, like you show, and not breakers. Would be awesome if they were all that way, right?

Who knows, when I get new engines one day, maybe I will have them re-wire it all ;)

Gotta dream big!

No way am I paying $90 plus shipping for a stupid breaker though, not when a 30-am goes for 16 bucks on Amazon... unless... it requires it be that big fat thing.

Debating calling Grady and asking them because none of the breaker people at Carling will talk to me, I am not a distributor.. and the distributor sent me to the ebay guy.. heh

Ebay guy just replied and it is a 3-pole breaker and obsolete...... that was why it had all those wires in the back, so now I need to see if it is safe to connect to a 1-pole or 2-pole.. or if I can find a 3-pole breaker anymore.

I think I just figured out what I need, but need to check the breaker when I get home. Reverse polarity is the key here, that and 3-pole....

R

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
My mistake, Russ, I should’ve read your first post a little more throughly. I believe you’re referring to breakers, not fuses. I was having the same problem as you in sourcing OEM breakers (with reasonable shipping costs) and ended up converting my switch panel to fuses instead of breakers and my helm feed to a surface mount blue sea systems breaker.

You should be fine as long as the new breaker has the same voltage/current rating as the original; everything I found had a smaller profile than original too. Hope the mounting is the same and it doesn’t give you any headaches!
That approach can lead to problems for some loads, mainly those that have high inrush (starting) current draw. Some examples are ACs, some pumps, fridges, windlasses etc.
The inrush current can be several times the running current. If a fuse is used the inrush may very well blow the fuse. If you size the fuse bigger to handle the inrush, a situation where the running current is too high can cause overheating and/or damage to the circuits or equipment.
If the original circuit had a breaker, replace it with a breaker to be safe.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I agree. I like to know for a fact that something is a solid replacement. I noticed the 3-pole then the placard said “reverse polarity” when I googled that, I located a replacement that should do the trick.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That approach can lead to problems for some loads, mainly those that have high inrush (starting) current draw. Some examples are ACs, some pumps, fridges, windlasses etc.
The inrush current can be several times the running current. If a fuse is used the inrush may very well blow the fuse. If you size the fuse bigger to handle the inrush, a situation where the running current is too high can cause overheating and/or damage to the circuits or equipment.
If the original circuit had a breaker, replace it with a breaker to be safe.

Disclaimer: not trying to argue or have a p!$$!ng contest but I respectfully disagree with the assertion that a circuit breaker cannot be replaced with a fuse.

I assumed earlier (shame on me) that when replacing protective devices the circuit wiring is properly sized for the maximum load (including inrush/inductive) it will see. Wire sizing should also account for load duration and bundling as well as the insulation temperature rating. Blue Sea Systems has a great app for this that has better detail than the standard wire sizing charts as it can account for voltage drop, bundle size, and duration as well.

Fuses or breakers should be sized per the device manufacturer's recommendation (usually found in a manual or by contacting tech support). A lot of smaller equipment that has inductive loads (washdown, bilge pump, etc.) will have a recommended fuse size that will account for the inrush current.

That said, for larger inductive loads you mentioned, (windlass, AC) I do agree with you that it is often more practical to use a circuit breaker as the inrush can be high or the loading variable. These will often have a dedicated power supply/breaker.

For resistive loads (lighting, etc) there shouldn't be an issue with using a breaker or fuse.

A lot of boats have helms with fused switch panels or switch panels with separate protective devices. For my boat I found it easier to use dielectric grease on a fuse/switch panel than to source weatherproof breakers (when I got the boat all the original ones were corroded on the back as moisture got into the breaker bodies). I'm a simple-minded person so I like fuses as there's one less thing to troubleshoot in a circuit; I've come across a couple breakers that failed closed (i.e. OEM helm push-to-reset breaker) and don't want to imagine what would happen if they did so with a short in the wiring.

TLDR: Fuses are acceptable for me. Breakers are easier to reset (push a button or flip a switch) than having to pull/replace a fuse. I'd prefer breakers for higher current/inductive loads.

If your fuse keeps blowing or breaker keeps tripping you have an issue with something in the circuit. Size your wiring and protective devices correctly and take care of your equipment.

Again, I don't want to hijack this thread or turn it into a p!ss!ng contest so feel free to reach out to me via direct message.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It’s all good. This is how we all learn. Anything is possible, so long as we make educated, informed, and smart choices. I do not think anyone said “You cannot do ‘X’”, I think the point was that we, as forum helpers, have to be careful not to give advice that an uneducated person asking for help on a topic they are not experts on or comfortable with, or someone could get hurt. That was how “I” took it.

again, all things are possible, we simply have to understand the choices so WE understand the consequences.

My breaker/switch works but is broken at the toggle. I plan to order the correct replacement today....after I call and confirm;)

Reactions: Holokai

seasick

Reaction score
Holokai,
Other than my yami telltale, no pissing contest. Discussion and disagreement are good things for education. I do agree with most of what you said. For those who understand electrical theory and practice, changes to wiring devices are fine. I made my statements for those who may not have electrical background or knowledge and could create unsafe situations where apples are not compared to oranges as they say. In general, assuming theoriginal wiring was designed correctly, replacing one for one is a safe bet. My background is electrical engineering but I probably have forgotten a lot. When I was in school, we learned about vacuum tubes! There were transformers but none could morph into a super hero or villain:) How may transistors did your first portable radio have?

Regards,
Seasick

Reactions: Holokai

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just for reference a lot of this stuff is also made by Blue Sea Systems and the couple of times I've dealt with them they have been supper helpful.