Gallons per hour on 1988 28' Marlin

goldeneye

Reaction score
My friend runs a 1988 28' Marlin with a pair of 1993 johnson 225 outboards and is looking to know if anyone has an idea of what he burns per hour @ 4000 RPM? Can anyone help him with the answer?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your firends boat is probably a 1989... that was the first year for the Marlin. He is probably burning around 25-28gph... that's about what the carb'ed yamaha 225's were burning on that boat.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a pair of carbed jonnie 175"S on a 25 hydrasport, they burned 22gph at 3800 rpm, i would venture a guess that the 225" are burning 15 gph per engine at 4k

jehines3

Reaction score
I've got an identical set-up and burn 24-26gph at 25knts, 4100k on the tachs. 4000 is just a hair too slow and the engines and boat just don't play weel together there. That's with a brand new bottom this season, my Lee Sr's off the boat, and open array radar. I'll fish next season with planer boards which work great on the bay.

The boat could be a 1988. There was a Grady article I read where a son of one of the owners had an early Marlin and it was listed as a 1988 in the article and under the picture. I said the same thing about the 1989 date, but I think pre production and test boats might be badged as 1988's.

It is a great boat with a long history. I absolutly love everything about mine except the fuel burn...jh

Elvio

Reaction score
my 28 Marlin dates to 1993 and had been repowered in 1998 with twin Ocean-Pro 225 Evinrudes. carburated and once seriously overhauled in 2001.
I typically burn 90 to 100 liters per hour, combined, at 4,000 rpm tach reading, doing 25 +/- 1 nmph GPS speed. Those readings reflect boat wet loads at 3/4 of max, with hardtop, marlin tower, outriggers, fresh antifouling paint, full fishing tackle, 3 people onboard and light to moderate (2~4)seas.
In imperial units that would correspond to 24~26 gph.
I also agree that 4,000 is alittle bit on the lower end of the "easy breathing" of the boat/engine duetto. 4,100 seems more appropriate.
A friend of mine has recently repowered his 1997 Marlin 30 (same boat with extended Eurotransom...the only hull difference) to twin 225 E-Tec's, and is doing a little less consumption than that, but with an extra 800 lbs of equipment.
He quoted me 80~85 lph (equiv to 21~22 gph) at 4200 rpm with 29 nmph GPS speed. But he also uses the Viper 14 3/4 x 17 props which apparently are not the most appropriate with E-Tec's. Rebel props have been added to BRP's catalog seemingly for this particular reason.
I have yet o try them, as I am planning to do the same repowering soon.

jehines3

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the E-tec numbers I have not seen one powered with E-tecs and I'm a huge OMC (now BRP) fan.

But that fuel burn with E-Tecs would have me scared to four strokes. GW's factory numbers with the Yamaha 225's is in the 15gph range at 4000RPM doing 26MPH. The Yamaha's would be about a 35% savings on fuel verusus only a 20% improvement with the E-tec. jh

tiderunner

Reaction score
I have posted this before but my 28 Marlin is a 93 . It runs great with the Yamaha 250's 2S ox66 @ 3700 . I get the most out of it . 150 Gal fuel , full water, empty head, and a ton of gear. I am burning 20.3-21.2 GPH while doing 23.5 Knots. This was against the tide and into the wind this past weekend . I was running the forward tank to the bottom and it was pretty much empty with 145 gallons used out of it . But the rear tank was full. So the A$$ end of the boat was very heavy requiring alot of tab action .

Elvio

Reaction score
21 gph is a nice figure indeed.
to my knowledge DFI two strokes are already 30~35% better than carb 2S's and very close to 4 strokes as far as consumption is concerned. But again, weight and sea conditions are major factors, and so is propeller choice. As for my friend's E-Tecs, once he strips his boat from the extra 800~1000 lbs of longline equipment (for which we do not praise him, mind you), I would expect him to run around 18~19 gph at 28 kts. We have seen even lower figures (16~17) when he first tried the boat with the new engines and no added extra weight, but then he was underpropped as the RPMs went well above and beyond the recommended max. But he went and increased pitch whilst he should have increased diameter, but then the dealer did not have the new Rebel props at hand. We are a little bit stranded here in Turkey as far as spares availability etc.
Anyway, at cruising, I would expect him to run below 20~21 gph at 4000 rpm, with 25~27 kts, with a normally (decent sportfisherman) loaded boat. At WOT I've noted that with E-Tecs there is slightly more consumption than 4Ss. But the real savings come at idle and trolling speeds (6~8 kts). we have seen less than half figures of the carb 2Ss!! I am talking about less than 1.5 gph combined at 1200 rpm. That is some savings compared to the 4~5 gph of my actual carb 2Ss, especially when I do 8~10 hours of trolling vs 1~2 hours at crusing per offshore fishing day.
But again it all changes a bit from boat to boat.

jehines3

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I'm still a huge Evinrude fan, but the E-tecs are getting about 15-20% premium on price everywhere I've checked. My next choice would be Suzuki just due to weight.

They are not giving E-tecs away, and buyers would want four strokes down the road, so it is a tough call. I've got 800 hours on mine, and I'm hoping to get another 600-800 trouble free hours before I really have to make a decision.

Hungry Ghost

Reaction score
I have recently repowered my 28' marlin with a pair of Yamaha 250 4 strokes, replacing Mariner 225 2 stroke carbs. I was making .6-.75 mpg now I am only getting .8-1 mpg. I was expecting better mileage with the upgrade, any one with similar results? I also need to replace my Phasor genset, should I get another Phasor or another brand?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hungry Ghost... welcome to the site. Yes... I have the F250's on my 2005 Marlin and I'm getting 1.3 on average. 1.5 on a perfect day and 1.0mpg in a head sea & windy day. My tanks are usually full. I'm using Yamaha SS stainless 15 1/4" x 17" props. Grady is now recommending 19" pitch on the marlin. Our hulls are identicle except your running length is recessed(euro transon is cantilevered about 2'). Check your props for size... you shouldn't be running less pitch than me. Plus if yours are aluminum you may be losing there as well. Also check what rpm range you reach at WOT. You should be pushing close to 5800-6000. Do you have a tower on your boat? That will impact you as well. Or almost 20yrs of bottom paint build up if not using ablative paint.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Gallons

Guys I know this is a post mainly about the Marlin but I run a 305 Express which is the same hull so here goes......I'm running 15 1/4 x 19" SSII props with the F250's and just got back yesterday from a 320 mile trip to the canyons with 7 ppl on board, 800qts of ice, full fuel plus 50 gallons extra in a drum..... the boat was completely loaded down and I averaged right at 1.2mpg so I would think on the Marlin that you should def be getting better fuel mileage than that.....Now I like jehines3 am a very big OMC fan and these are the first non OMC motors that I have ever owned........and so far I have 120hrs of hiccup free Yamaha's......and I too wondered what kind of mileage I would get with E-Tec's....but for now I'm happy with my Yammies.....So about that .8-1.0 mpg you should get that checked on something is seriously off there....that doesn't sound like F250 numbers. Try the 19" SSII props i'll bet that increases your economy quite a bit!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hungry Ghost said:
I have recently repowered my 28' marlin with a pair of Yamaha 250 4 strokes, replacing Mariner 225 2 stroke carbs. I was making .6-.75 mpg now I am only getting .8-1 mpg. I was expecting better mileage with the upgrade, any one with similar results?

Something doesn't sound right there.

Southern Hunter: where did you fit all that (7 peope, 100 gallons of ice, and 50 gallons of fuel)?

Southern Hunter

Reaction score

Grog......

I use my boat as an offshore machine and have found it to be very good for just that!!! I load my boat down every outing and it preforms flawlessly......did I mention that we ended up coming back to the dock with 25 Blackfin, 10 Scamps, 7 AJ's, 9 Almaco's, a handful chicken dolphin, 15 Mangroves, and 10 Triggerfish!!! We had 5 Scamps over 15lbs, and 3 AJ's over 50!! I know this may not be the way some Grady owners use their boat, but down here in the GOM its just the way we do it.....Grady's are machines!!! Ill post a few picks later so you can see the damage we did!!

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Fish

Here were the pics from last weekends trip.....

dive0512.jpg

dive0542.jpg

dive0552.jpg

dive0382.jpg

Twisted28

Reaction score
Hungry Ghost said:
I have recently repowered my 28' marlin with a pair of Yamaha 250 4 strokes, replacing Mariner 225 2 stroke carbs. I was making .6-.75 mpg now I am only getting .8-1 mpg. I was expecting better mileage with the upgrade, any one with similar results? I also need to replace my Phasor genset, should I get another Phasor or another brand?

For a bit ther I was feeling a little sickened thinking I was the only one getting .5 when loaded to my best of .7 MPG at an average speed of 22 to 24 knots @ 4100 RPMs. I have Yami 250's 1990 76deg V6 carbed motors rebuilt power heads in 05 with minimal hrs on them. The previous owner said prior to getting them rebuilt he got 1 MPG and got less right off the bat after the rebuild. I burn 16 GPH PER motor so 32 GPH is really BAD.

Twisted28

Reaction score
Re: Fish

Southern Hunter said:
Here were the pics from last weekends trip.....

dive0512.jpg

dive0542.jpg

dive0552.jpg

dive0382.jpg

Thats the problem with whore fisherman, just how many fish does one family need, Sickening. Ever hear the word CONSERVATION???

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Fish

Jealousy and lack of skills is all that comes to mind when someone as yourself puts up a post like that Twisted28.........show some respect and class my good friend....that is unless you lack one or the other or maybe BOTH! I bought this boat for a reason and when I go on a trip that costs me $2000.....I'm going to get my moneys worth!