Garmin Radar & Isenglass

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fellow Skips -

Good evening to all.

Have two questions this evening:

1) What are the opinions on the Garmin18 HD+ vs HD3 - I am not sweating the price difference: but it is at the point where a radar is needed & want to hear your takes.

2) Isenglass: have any of you tried using equipment similar to that from Sailrite & just making some of your own? The wife & I are pretty handy - and it is clear (pardon the pun) that it's becoming an important addition.

Please be well as always.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Having had both the solid state and the magnetron radars from Garmin, highly recommend the solid-state Fantom radar. It is head and shoulders better than the magnetron versions. With regard to the enclosure question, I have purchased several items through Sale Rite including one of their sewing machines and do most of my own canvas work now. Takes some time to learn, but kind of enjoyable once you get the hang of it. Highly recommend strata glass versus isinglass. It is thicker clear and last longer. I have strata glass on my 330 express that is now 13 years old and still quite clear. The only panel I had to replace is the one that was directly in the sun for now 13 years, replaced it last year.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sail Rite can be a convenient one stop shopping place for small projects, but they are overpriced on everything they sell. I can’t think of anything that they actually manufacture, except maybe their sewing machines, and even those you can buy clone Chinese made copies for $200, such as Reliable.
If you buy a SR, and you have the room, there is no comparison between a portable and a table mounted machine.
I have had the same singer 111W for right at 50 years, and sewn on quite a few other machines, and I have never heard anyone say, “I think I am going to trade in my Pfaff145, my Juki 563, my Consew 206R or 226RB, my Adler, etc., for a Sailrite.” They are so noisy, compared to anything else, is enough reason that I could never sit in front of one.
Singer 111W, and Consew 225, are the same machine, but I wouldn’t recommend either one just for lack of reverse. That’s what I learned on, and never knew what I was missing for many years.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I was interested in the xHD3 for my RIB, but then sold it and bought the Canyon with a Fantom 18.

There are almost no tests using the xHD3 to find what is a bit wired.
Garmin certainly knows well what they are doing and i would exclude that they develop a product what is inferior to the earlier ones.
Most negative comments was regarding the use of old-school magnetron technique and not solid-state but as long no tests are available it is difficult to know the truth. My electronics dealer told me that they don't sell a lot because the Fantom 18 just works fine and the extra price don't make the xHD3 appealing to normal customers.
I asked in THT and most replies where the ones i mentioned, but as far i remember there where a few who are happy with the xHD3

Should i have to change my Fantom i probably would get the xHD3

Chris

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have the GMR18 Fantom 40W on my 268 Islander and like it. You may want to install it on a small mount for better performance.

I started doing my own canvas and upholstery work a few years back. Everything from Sailrite. I bought their Ultrafeed LSZ. I can't really say they are expensive because there really isn't another place for a individual to shop. They carry almost everything you need. Great web site. Fast shipping. They also offer great instructional videos. I also faked a canvas business and got an account with Trivantage who carries everything for commercial accounts (Makrolon polycarbonate for enclosure).

I have done full enclosure with Makrolon front and sides, cushions and backrest for interior, seats and chairs for cockpit.

New Enclosure.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
1) What are the opinions on the Garmin18 HD+ vs HD3 - I am not sweating the price difference: but it is at the point where a radar is needed & want to hear your takes.
Newer is always better. The HD+ and HD3 are not long for the garmin world. They are replaced with xHD3 which has incorporated some of the new processing technology from Fantom.

The Fantom radars are the new technology. If you have a garmin MFD that supports Fantom radars, I would recommend the Fantom 18.
On a small boat bouncing around, running in dark or fog, the Motion scope technology really does make it easier to spot crossing targets by changing the color of the return.
I have it and I have needed it many times.

The newest Fantoms are 50w transmit power. The first models were 40W. You can sometimes get a deal now on one of those.
Fantom use 4w in standby vs 15W for HD and fantom goes to transmit really fast.

You will need a Heading sensor too

Fishtales

Reaction score
I got the full enclosure from A&J Canvas in Vanceboro NC. They make em for GW. Good price. I redid all the bolsters and companion seat. Can do these yourself.