Gas Tank Leaking

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2006 Grady White 232 Gulfstream with two fuel tanks, Aux and Main. Mechanic is telling me that the Aux tank is leaking fuel, based on it is 19 years old, aluminum and has a small stress crack. What are my options for and your recommendations? Can you buy new tanks off the shelf to replace, or replace with a custom fabricated Tank? Worth trying to find a certified welder who works with gas to fix or this just as expensive with a risk of a future issue? Thanks in advance.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Most of the cost is the labor to remove/replace tank. I don’t recommend repairing. There will damage to the bottom of the tank you can’t see without taking it out. Replace it. Custom build. It’s not that old but it’s close. I did mine at 25 years. Why did the tank crack? Was it properly mounted?

Depending on access to the other tank you may want to inspect as well.

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Both tanks are very accessible surprisingly. I agree, may as well replace - there is a customer fabricator in town who makes tanks. I have no idea why it sprung a leak, I have had the boat since new and the tanks have never been removed. When you did your new tank, did you do the fuel lines as well?

Fishtales

Reaction score
On the older boats if you take up the cockpit decks you should be able to get at them. Prob best to buy local to avoid shipping as much as you can. Can also check with GW to see if they will provide the tank manufacturer.

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I was able to find the original manufacturer of the tanks Florida Marine Tanks (FMT), however they are no longer in Florida now located in NC. They have the original drawings. 6 weeks to build and a week to ship.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Both tanks are very accessible surprisingly. I agree, may as well replace - there is a customer fabricator in town who makes tanks. I have no idea why it sprung a leak, I have had the boat since new and the tanks have never been removed. When you did your new tank, did you do the fuel lines as well?
Yes - I did all fill, vent, fuel hose including all on the tanks valves.

Grappler

Reaction score
I have a 99 Gulfstream and had the aux replaced, along with fuel lines etc for both tanks (they need to remove the main to get to the Aux) 3-4 years ago. I used a local tank fabricator thru my Yamaha shop and they built replacement AUX tank out of aluminum, and had access via the existing floor panels. The main tank was good but I think they coated it with something to prevent rust if I recall right. I’m in NY and I think it cost me $2-3k at the time.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Atlantic Coastal Welding in NJ is awesome, does great work, and has Grady drawings on file. They just made mine.