Gel coat flaws

Reaction score
Got the 2009 Chesapeake 290 July 2015. The boat had just been serviced bythe local Grady dealer and was also very clean. It was time for annual service so the boat was put on an inside rack at a high and dry marina. The hull still had a little shine but looked like it was covered in water spots. I decided to detail the boat while it is inside the high and dry because the boat is usually on a lift.
When I started polishing the hull I could see that those were not water spots but thousands of lines in the gel coat. The lines are indented and cover most of the hull. This is the original factory gel coat. They are too deep to buff out with rubbing compound. The only way to remove these defects is by wet sanding. You can see these defects when you look at the hull from an angle. No one at the marina has ever seen such a poor finish on a factory made boat.
I have shown the boat to 2 different fiberglass/gel coat experts. One opinion was that the mold was not smooth. The other opinion was that too much release agent was sprayed in to the mold and it ran or made droplets inside the mold.
Have any of you ever seen this in your gel coat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 759
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 760