Generator removal

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Starting to assess what is needed to remove the generator from my 330. Since it is not working, the plan is to break it down into parts and remove piece by piece, until it is gone.

Thinking through the connections to the generator and there are 3 systems

Fuel. Will cap the fuel line with a shut off valve.

Wiring - will remove the wiring from the generator to the battery switch, and tape off the wires to the electric panel in cabin (Leaving in stern). Are there others I'll need to worry about? Generator to AC system, for instance?

Water - there is a seacock with valve. What to do with the exhaust hose, which goes out the starboard side. Is there a good way to plug this?

Misc - appears to have full coolant, and oil. Best practice is to remove/drain prior to removal?

Any other words of experience or advice?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not done this, but you likely have to take some of it apart if it doesn't fit through the deck hole. I would try to pump out the coolant tank and see what you can get out. One piece of advice is to do it during layout with the plug out. This way you can wash out any coolant or other stuff that may leak. The generator exhaust and saltwater used to cool the freshwater cooling system come out at the waterline. Your going to want to ensure this is Sealed well. Depending upon access you could see if you can install a seacock if you are not going to close the hole. Might be able to put in a different model with a seacock.
Here's a thread on the topic.

Reactions: kirk a

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I pulled my rusty beast out whole after draining fluids. I turned it on its side and made crossing stack of boards below it by rocking the genny left to right. i put a piece of plywood between the generator and the forward hatch bulkhead. hooked up a come along to the t top and rachetted it out onto the deck on top of the plywood. It fit thru the stern door standing up. IMG_6169.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Holy fook batman! That's one beat up genny...

LadyG

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I pulled my rusty beast out whole after draining fluids. I turned it on its side and made crossing stack of boards below it by rocking the genny left to right. i put a piece of plywood between the generator and the forward hatch bulkhead. hooked up a come along to the t top and rachetted it out onto the deck on top of the plywood. It fit thru the stern door standing up. View attachment 33791
I did mine the same way. 2 person job, one in the hole and one on the chain.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.png
    IMG_2017.png
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2018.png
    IMG_2018.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2019.png
    IMG_2019.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
wow, I'm amazed that someone can even fit in that space

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I took mine out of my 330 express with some wrenches and just 2 of is. No draining, no tilting, just unbolted,and humped it out. It’s heavy but no need to make a major production out of it. Took an hour.

Once it was in the deck, I cheated a little and had my friend pick it up with his skid steer to get it to the ground

Tpartridge

Reaction score
Starting to assess what is needed to remove the generator from my 330. Since it is not working, the plan is to break it down into parts and remove piece by piece, until it is gone.

Thinking through the connections to the generator and there are 3 systems

Fuel. Will cap the fuel line with a shut off valve.

Wiring - will remove the wiring from the generator to the battery switch, and tape off the wires to the electric panel in cabin (Leaving in stern). Are there others I'll need to worry about? Generator to AC system, for instance?

Water - there is a seacock with valve. What to do with the exhaust hose, which goes out the starboard side. Is there a good way to plug this?

Misc - appears to have full coolant, and oil. Best practice is to remove/drain prior to removal?

Any other words of experience or advice?
Curious if you have the sound enclosure? If so, would you be open to selling it? I'm in MA as well, so could pick it up locally.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Get the mfger and model and ensure they match yours. Looks not to be a FP but looks not to be a genny either!

Tpartridge

Reaction score
Thx. Yeah, I had to look twice myself but, finally realized that that pic is indeed the Kohler 5w...it's just already standing on its end in that pic. Same genset I have on my 330...this one is just has A LOT more rust