GoPro live underwater 1080p feed to Garmin 8612 chartplotter

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Starting a thread here to document my live underwater camera. This is my Winter project for fishing in clear water in the Keys. I searched for cameras and came up nothing I liked. The GoPro is a high quality inexpensive camera but it's really an action camera. It can be adapted to work but isn't always easy.

It's easy to jamb a GoPro camera in the water and record video. It's not so easy to get the live video to the surface where you can connect it to your chartploter.

I'm taking the approach of using a Suptig waterproof housing, GoPro Hero 9 and GoPro Media Mod.

Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 7.13.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-09-10 at 7.20.17 PM.png

GoPro has a Media Mod that wraps the camera and provides HDMI output but the mod won't fit in the waterproof case. It has a USB C connection to the camera inside the case and external connections to micro HDMI and USB C. The Media Mod will be remote from the camera behind the chartplotter. The two are connected with a long USB C cable that is connected to the camera with a waterproof connection. The Media Mod connects to the chartplotter HDMI and to a USB C power source.

Camera will be mounted on an adjustable length Shurhold pole with a GoPro adapter. Shurhold pole will sit in Cannon rod holder angled behind the boat. The idea is to keep it simple to setup and use otherwise it won't! We will learn a lot first trip out and make adjustments.

So far I have cabled everything up and tested camera with the chartplotter. Working fine. Garmin lets you display the video on either chartplotter. Image can be mirror and rotated if needed. Had to install a GoPro Labs modification to display "clean" HDMI video without any controls or information. That is working fine too.

We'll see!

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
cool project, cant wait to see how it works out

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Progress report: Not going so well with the GoPro Hero 9 or Hero 12. The Media Mod is problematic. Several issues that don't have solutions. No underwater case available for camera with Media Mod. Media Mod can't be remoted because of special cable, won't charge or power camera with Media Mod. I gave up on the newer cameras.

Ordered a new GoPro Hero 7 Black. Setup this morning. Looks like this is the right camera for the job. Has a built in HDMI connection (no Media Mod is required). Will charge battery or operate without a battery on charging cable. Displaying 1080p video on my chartplotter. Chartplotter can rotate and mirror video. This is the right answer.

Waiting on new camera case and other mounting stuff. I'll put a few pictures together when it's done.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
This is a wonderful idea! I hope you can make it work. Get Garmin to invest and start selling these setups!!

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thats a interesting project!

If your plan is to use the GoPro while trolling over 2 knots i suggest you to use a much sturdier pole and find a way to attach a safety cable in case the pole breaks. The square housing of the GoPro create a higher as expected drag what may damage the pole or the point where the housing is attached.
You may buy the Troll Pro trolling housing for GoPro cameras and tow it on a sturdy mono behind on a planer or similar to lower it below the aerated water from the outboards, or find a way to attach it to a pole to have it on the side.
If you have a buddy with a 3D printer you may design and print a similar housing with a very sturdy pole attachment point
Chris

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
are you trying to record what you see live?

my gopro is older (i forget which model) and doesnt have a viewing screen on it, but it does connect to my phone and i can see live video through my phone. that being said, once i start recording, the live view is not available . you might not be able to run it to a chart plotter, but probably a tablet would work.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
are you trying to record what you see live?

my gopro is older (i forget which model) and doesnt have a viewing screen on it, but it does connect to my phone and i can see live video through my phone. that being said, once i start recording, the live view is not available . you might not be able to run it to a chart plotter, but probably a tablet would work.
This is really an experiment to see what's under the boat while I'm fishing. During the Winter I concentrate on sailfishing in clear water. Bump trolling live bait or kite fishing while on the sea anchor. I'll also do some slow trolling to cover some ground around 4 to 6 knots and stop to live bait when we find fish. I also anchor up and do some reef fishing on the edge in 60' and in shallow 30' water.

I'm not recording. I want a live camera view on my chartplotter. The camera wifi and bluetooth connections are lost when the camera is underwater. Anyway the tablet and phone screens are hard to see in bright sunlight. The chartplotter is the right display.

The GoPro Hero 7 Black arrived. New in box from eBay. The model is discontinued. They are shipping Hero 13's now. The Hero 7 is the last model they made with a built-in HDMI connection. I set it up and tested it on dry land. Micro-HDMI and USB-C power cables. It worked perfectly. Waiting on a waterproof camera case to arrive later in the week.

I'm still working on mounting. Most likely be a ShurHold brush pole possibly with a Troll-Pro housing. Have a few designs to test. Probably mounting on the Starboard side to keep it out of the prop wash about 4' below the water.

Reactions: Sauza45 and Ekea