Grady or Mako?

rinewby

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm coming of a bad relationship with an express cruiser and looking to get into a decent older fishing boat with a walk around. Are Grady's a lot better? I heard the Mako's have transom and gas tank probs...I know this is a Grady site and will be somewhat biased but this is my last chance to get a boat that we can enjoy...if I get another bomb, she's going to nix any future boating attempts...thanks in advance.I'm really looking for a trailerable 21-25 footer

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Of course we're all gonna say get the GRADY but an old school mako 241, 251 has its loyal followers. If you're thinking about a Mako, I would suggest an older one-late 70's to mid 80's vintage...brick s**t houses. Be diligent and do your homework.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Not sure about the other boat, but I have had my Grady sailfish for 8+years and have been caught in countless storms and high seas (up to 10-12 footers) and have never felt scared the boat would fall apart. I think whatever boat you go for, make sure the inside is well constructed. The saying… you get what you pay for … is very true when it comes to boat construction. Good luck!

rinewby

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...Part of the post is to get the Grady strengths and weaknesses. I'm leaning towards a Grady and was hoping to get some good info here. I live in New England and it can whip up quick here so I definitely need a solid boat. I'm really afraid of that transom issue on the Mako, however, at least I've got it down to two builders :D

gw204

Reaction score
If you're talking older boats, they are both prone to the exact same issues. Transom rot, stringer rot, soft floors, leaking gas tanks, poor wiring, etc.

But as you get newer, the Gradys get better and the Makos get worse.

If I were in the market for a late 70s to late 80s boat, I would pick the Mako over the Grady for design and ride.

An old 25' Mako will run circles around almost any Grady under 30'.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Define trailerable. Sailfish/Dolphin and larger are over 8 1/2' and not really legal to tow without permits. Islanders are the largest readily trailerable boats.

What kind of a budger are you looking at and what do you want to do with it? The older Makos have more"V" and will slice through tough seas better but will rock more. With smaller boats, it's a trade-off.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
plymouthgrady said:
Of course we're all gonna say get the GRADY but an old school mako 241, 251 has its loyal followers. If you're thinking about a Mako, I would suggest an older one-late 70's to mid 80's vintage...brick s**t houses. Be diligent and do your homework.

Exactly!!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My first boat was a 1969 13 foot whaler, 2nd a 1971 19 foot Mak, 3rd 1985 GW seafares, 4th a 2004 Gulfstream and 5th (and last my wife tells me) a 2004 Sailfish. All great boats, all had obvios differences but quality and appropriate sea wothiness for their sizes were excellent. I did hear Mako lost some of the prestige and quality they had in their earlier boats until recently?

rinewby

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for all of the input. By trailerable, I live in RI, but, would like to occasionally take it North to Southern Maine and South to CT. Only once or twice a year though. Mostly, I don't want to get killed at the marina like I did with my old 30. Budget is limited because of the last boat, so I need to go a little older. If I can get her out on a couple of nice trips, I'd ultimately want to end up in a 25 Sailfish...

tiderunner

Reaction score
My last boat was a 78 Mako 25 CC . Absulutely awesome !!! I wish I never sold it . The thing was a tank fish it by your self with compleate ease . Beam was a little small only 8'0". I have heard that this was a better to cut through chop better than it's 8'6" models . I never backed down on boat wakes with that boat it would blast through everything. A guy has a 25 whaler from the 80's at my marina. He would beat me in the flat stuff but when we would hit bigger water he would duck in behind me and laugh about it back at the dock . You cant go wrong wirh an old Mako from the 70's or 80's . This one on craigslist is gorgeous .

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/819476850.html

Every time I see this ad I email this guy and tell him he is making a mistake!!

If you end up with this boat you are required to call me !!

Twins are not needed on this boat mine had a single 225 yami . I personally think that a 300 Suki would be awesome .

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Older Mako's were tanks, newer ones are noit built well, around 2000 Mako had some layup defects in their hulls and decks. Pre 1990 I'd say Mako is a great boat, after that they started to go down hill model by model as they redesigned them. They are no longer considered a top notch builder like Grady, BW or Pursuit. Regardless of what you choose, it needs to cuit your needs with a ghood lay out and also sea trial antyhing before you buy it, after all you will own it not us. As for ride of older Grady's vs Mako, both pound a little but both are solid built boats and if kept correctly will last a long time. All older boats have issues, and contrary to Grady's having a bad rep for older models and bad transom's. that has nothing to do with the build process or transom design, the fault is on those who do not maintain the transom properly or install transducers and other gear below the waterline improperly, allowing issued to occur. Many brands have this issue but because of Grady's high price it got criticized more then other brand's for this, Mako's had their fair share as well.