Gulfstream 232 - Helm Electronics

Mblanche

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have an 08’ Gulfstream that has a fair bit of extras for offshore use including Autopilot (separate small screen close to throttle), radar, AIS, sonar (to be upgraded with sidescan) and obviously everything else that comes with my Garmin 1242. I placed the 1242 screen as far port in the OEM electronics display area as I felt possible years ago. My question is does anyone have dual side by side screens in their Gulfstream? I would like to have my Chartplotter on full display on one screen and my radar or sonar in full display on another screen. I’d prefer they be 12” but anyways any experience with current owners who have multiple displays for the helm would be appreciated.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't have a 232 or even side-by-side 1242s, but I'd love to see a pic of what you've done. Is the AIS in the VHF and connected to the 1242 or is it a 'black box'? If a VHF, which brand?

Tx, Rob

Mblanche

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I don't have a 232 or even side-by-side 1242s, but I'd love to see a pic of what you've done. Is the AIS in the VHF and connected to the 1242 or is it a 'black box'? If a VHF, which brand?

Tx, Rob
It's a blackbox AIS connected behind the dash and has a splitter for the VHF and the NMEA 2000 connection for display/receiving of other AIS signals. I'm assuming that you will be able to see my boat on something like vesselfinder.com while underway to keep the family comfortable while way offshore. The AIS is a new upgrade so once I get everything set up I'll be sure to send a picture. I'll never sell my Gulfstream, boat is a mobile tank!

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Twin 12" Garmins in my 08 GS. You may need to zoom in to see it but there's a 2-slot card reader on the left side of the screens as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoo33417

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Twin 12" Garmins in my 08 GS. You may need to zoom in to see it but there's a 2-slot card reader on the left side of the screens as well.
That's a lot of electronics real estate. I have a Garmin 1242xsv that my Standard Horizon VHF with AIS will not communicate with. So I'm considering options of black box AIS or replace (move) the Standard Horizon with a newer Garmin AIS VHF with NMEA 2000 - after I get my allowance for the year ;). Sorry didn't mean to hijack Mblanche's original question, but looks like OceanSun may have answered it.

Tx, Rob

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
" I'll never sell my Gulfstream, boat is a mobile tank!" I'm with you there! With the twin 200's I feel like it's a 4-ton jet ski sometimes!