Gulfstream Yamaha Speedometer not working

Dantheman

Reaction score
A question for all you experienced boaters out there.... I've taken my new 06 gulfstream out maybe three times since taking delivery last week, and during the last outing the Yamaha digital speedometer froze at 33mph. I tried turning off the motors, and then on, but its still frozen...now it shows 27mph even with the boat in neutral. Any ideas if this is something simple I can fix/tinker with, or do I already need to lay out $$ for a pro to repair this ??? Thanks in advance for the input.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure what motors you have, but here is what I have found in the past. On my old 2000 250 EFI there was a small hoe (about 1/16") on the opposite side of prop of the lower unit. This forward facing hole was connected to a roughly 1/8" clear rubber hose that went to the speedo on the dash. If the line were to get crimped I suppose it would read the same speed indefinitely. When mine got clogged at the lower unit, it would read zero all the time, regardless of what speed I drove. I suspect your tube is blocked if you in fact have this setup.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
take the speedo tube off the back of speedo
blow some compressed air into it
it might fix it
if not u will need to find the piolet tube on lower unit and then pull the speedo tube connector off at the lower unit and blow compressed air both ways to clear the junk out

catch22

Reaction score
Sounds like the speedo line, (clear tubing) is kinked and trapping pressure. The next time the gauge sticks, (reads a speed at stand still) try steering your motor from side to side, if the reading drops, you know it's somewhere near the motor/transom. Then start tracing the line, from the engine forward. Any sharp, tight bend, or a wire tie will kink it. You may have to re-route it.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys....I'll see if i can try out your suggestions and hopefully that will solve the problem

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
sand, silt, debris, etc. in the pilot hole in front of the lower unit can cause this also. I take a fish hook and clean it out. If that does not help, then undo the connection (tubing in front of the engine 1/4") and see if that reduces the pressure to get back to 0. Hope this helps.