GW rounded keel

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
When comparing the keel of the grady to the keel of other similar CCs, it is very apparent that many other boats have the keel come down to more of a point. the grady is very rounded on the keel. this is noticeable jut about along the full length of the boat. its only at the very front where the keel begins to curve up to the nose that grady drops the rounded profile.

does anyone know why grady did this and what benefit they did it for? conversely, does anyone know why other manufacturers bring the keel down to a point?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
good video. i would like to get a bit more detail about the statement that the rounder keep makes for a softer ride. the part about reducing bow steer makes perfect sense, but not so much about the softer ride

Reactions: Coastboater

Coastboater

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed on my boat that WOT it feels a bit “squirrelly“ for lack of a better term. I think it’s due to the hull not tracking as straight as hulls that carry the deadrise to the transom when you’re only riding on the last few feet of the hull.
I didn’t experience that on the 228 with a F225 on a bracket, nor on a 225 Tournament with a F300, also on a bracket, although not sure if the bracket makes a big difference, but both brackets had “V” shaped bottoms. I think it has more to do with trimming more of the hull out of contact and higher speed creating more lift.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
One thing I’ve noticed on my boat that WOT it feels a bit “squirrelly“ for lack of a better term. I think it’s due to the hull not tracking as straight as hulls that carry the deadrise to the transom when you’re only riding on the last few feet of the hull.
I didn’t experience that on the 228 with a F225 on a bracket, nor on a 225 Tournament with a F300, also on a bracket, although not sure if the bracket makes a big difference, but both brackets had “V” shaped bottoms. I think it has more to do with trimming more of the hull out of contact and higher speed creating more lift.
could be that the outboard on a bracket acted as a rudder farther back, essentially stabilizing some of the speed induced yaw