Hello New member,need opinion on boat purchase

superslammer1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking at a 268 grady white islander 1995 with a 250 carbed yamaha (350 hours,new power head in 2000)with a 9.9 yamaha kicker.for $23,000
The boat has gps,radar,dept finder and vhf,it has a porapoti,hard top

The boat needs new combing pads and a new small fridge
I would also install marine head(wife and kids)

let me know what you think of the boat and if this is a good price
thank you :)

striped bass

Reaction score
Price seems in the ball park. Be sure to check with the BUC Guidelines which is a good bench mark to use. Any 13 year old vessel will have issues that you will usually discover after you buy and use the boat. Issues will be electronics, engine, mechanicals (pumps, live wells), and steering. A thorough inspection by a qualified boat surveyor can help you spot any potential issues which you can use to negotiate price.
Show us any pics if you can.
Good luck.

superslammer1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
here is a picture of the boat

25681-c.jpg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
You need to get input on the 250 hp engine on this boat. To me it is underpowered, that said I have never run the boat with that power so I am speculating. I do have the same hull more or less in a 2008 275 Tournament with an F-350 and could not imagine it with a 250. Please post a little bit about where you plan to boat and how you think you will use the boat this will help you to obtain more pointed answers.

PS welcome to the site and from the photo she looks good.

superslammer1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will do my boating in the western sound of long island, with 3 to 4 on the boat

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Super: I suspect that the 250 will get you up on plane okay but top end will be limited to probably high 30s (mph).

Comparing the boat you're looking at with my own 258, the 1995 268 is listed at 4200 lbs, where my 258 is 4300 lbs. The 268 is 2'2" longer, but the running bottom is only 24' with the same beam as my boat, so the wetted surface area is actually a little less on the 268.

The 268 carries 134 gallons of fuel where I carry 128.

My F250 gets me up on plane fine, 4000 rpm gets me 27-28 mph and top end is 42 mph. Your two-stroke 250, assuming it is in good shape, should get you up on plane at least as well as my four-stroke.

For what it is worth, the 1995 Grady catalog features the 268 with a 250 on the cover.

I would call Grady and see if anyone there can put their hands on a copy of 13 year old performance specs.

I suspect that where you'll miss more power would be on a day when you're in some big following seas. You'll probably wish for more power and a second prop to help climb the back of some bigger seas.

Either way, welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision.

Rob

p.s. Down the road you can add a pair of 200 HPDIs and make that baby fly!

striped bass

Reaction score
Judging from the photo the boat looks well kept. Seems worth pursuing. An engine and hull survey by professionals will be your best guide.
Keep us Grady White junkies posted.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
opinion

My buddy has the exact same rig-'95 w/250 SWS II and runs in Buzzard's Bay. A little sluggish out of the hole but once on plane runs very nicely (high 30's). I agree it is a little underpowered but it will definately do what you need it to do.

dunwurkin

Reaction score
I had an '01 268 with a single 250 HP. For general use in the Peconic Bay and on LI Sound, never thought it was underpowered. It got up on plane quickly and I recalled did in the mid-30's at max. Never really wanted to move much more. Handled nicely.
Good Luck with it if you get it.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased her new in March 2002, rigged like this:

InSlip2.jpg

With 465 hours on the OX66, we repowered in November 2005 to this:

InSlip-Twins.jpg

and we now have over 580 hours on the F150s.

Like having two different boats.

So, what do you want to know? :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks can be deceiving. And all Gradys look good!

Have the boat evaluated by a surveyor experienced in Gradys. Ask local marinas for recommendations.

The stringer grid, bulkheads, transom, etc. are meaningful $$ items, not the refrig, coming pads, & head. Be sure he has experience in similar vintage 10+ yr old Gradys.

Also have a Yamaha mechanic check out the engine as a pre-purchase evaluation.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

I would highly recommend that you do not take delivery without a sea-trial. That should answer a few of your concerns. No sea trial-no sale.
Would you buy a car w/o taking it for a test drive?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
Brian, you're missing the engine covers for the F150s!

:D Just purchased a new set for the twins. The old ones got worn out.... use them all the time.