Help please '91 Grady White Spirit 175

GWSpirit175Owner26

Reaction score
We just bought a '91 Grady White Spirit 175, which also came with original yamaha 115 engine. (Fiance says it is a '92 but dealership sold as '91... not sure if this will matter regarding our question.) We took it out on river before purchase. The service guy is the one that started it. He said there was a trick/certain order to getting it started. He showed my fiance how to do it... purchased, drove home 6 hours... Anyway, went to the boat landing to go fishing today, and he couldn't get it to start. Called the place to see if service guy was in. No such luck as it is Saturday and Father's day weekend. In hindsight, I should have watched as well, wrote it down, and should have made service guy have fiance start it to ensure he did it right. (I know you are thinking, what an idiot, but let's move past that...lol... kind of) Ayi yi yi... Life lessons

Fiance says he is sure from doing it wrong a few times, it flooded. We couldn't wait and try again as the landing was busy and a person has to get in and out for next boater.

Can anyone please help us? Already checked the manual online. Fiance says it isn't the motor as it started up like a champ when service guy did it a few times.

I am just a beginner in the ownership of a boat... and a Grady White at that (yay)!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sincerely,
Jenn

PS. Yes, he primed it.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like motor is trying to start, as turning over, just no spark is that correct? I'm not familiar with your boat but could there be a manual choke somewhere at the helm?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Easy way to start 2 stroke is to prime first. Open throttle 10%. Either lift the choke lever up(located under key switch) and crank motor holding the lever up. Or push the key in to activate the choke. Hold key in and crank motor If you think it is flooded crank motor no choke with throttle wide open. Just be careful when it starts it rpms will race instantly. Be prepared to pull back on throttle quick.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
did you squeeze the fuel primer ball until it was filled before trying to start?