Help with my new used 1991 Spirit 175

spirt175

Reaction score
Greetings Grady Owners. Can anybody offer me some must inspect, change, replace items for my 1991 boat. Notwithstanding some general maintenance on the 1993 Johnson Outboard - can you tell us about some secrets or well known issues that are a must to address?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You MUST add gas................... :lol: :lol:
Not much familiar with that boat, but welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat, a very rear boat that is. Some pics would be nice too.

pilotart

Reaction score
(I tried to reply to your PM, but my reply was just delivered back to My Inbox....)

From the FAQ sticky at top of this Board, here is a link to download free 'PDF's of Grady White Annual Catalogs:

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/catalogs/

You will only find the Spirit 175's mentioned in 1992-97 catalogs. The '...FAQ' sticky also has links to download Owners Manuals, etc..

We bought our 1991 Spirit in 1996 from the first owner, the only problem he had ever had was the steering.

He had left it too long (or un-lubed) with the (recommended) placement of full Port. The idea was to keep all of the steering tube inside the casing.

Problem with that is when it is 'stuck' you can only apply pressure in one direction (to Starboard) and being that this 'pushes' rather than 'pulls' the steering tube, breakage is more likely.

Grady (Fish-Tale Marina) replaced it under warranty and the first owner paid the difference to have 'Zero-Feedback' steering installed, this was a very worthwhile upgrade.

I have had no problem with steering and I never park it full Port, many times it is months without use, but I do keep it well lubed.

The only issues I have ever experienced had to do with corrosion in the wiring and repair has been easy. I gave up on the electric horn (which I never used) and went to an aerosol version to comply with regulations.

The Switch panel and switches were really chintzy for a Grady, but the rest of the boat's construction quality is first rate.

The original LOWRANCE X25 depth sounder Head cracked and allowed moisture contamination, probably from changing 'tilt' without first loosening the mount knobs. I bought a LOWRANCE X70 Head on eBay that worked with the original Transducer and Speed/Temperature units. Now, the Speed Paddle Wheel went missing, but GPS is better for speed (I use a Garmin GPS V with BlueChart) and Temperature seems inaccurate since the Paddle Wheel left.

I paid $8,000 w/tax for 'like-new' in 1996 and have spent less than $2,000 Total since on ALL Maintenance, UpGrades and Repairs (New Cyl Head on Yamaha and Much More on the Honda that I added).

The boat is very economical on gas (especially since adding the 'kicker') and in fifteen years, have yet to discover any "secret" weak points.

Electrical glitches would be well known for most boats, but this will be your most likely issues.