Highest HP a 272 Sailfish can take

GW96

Reaction score
Have seen some older (94-97) Sailfishes around with 300's on them. Other than the weight/ scuppers when sitting, which they don't look that bad with, is there any concern of 300's being on these hulls. All are the stepped hulls without the full running surface.

Any reason the euro transom can't handle 300's, provided it's all solid?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
given that the marlins werent rated for 600, id doubt the sailfish was

GW96

Reaction score
Not really asking about ratings though. Ratings were based on what power was available at the time. Marlins originally came with F225's. No doubt at all they can handle 600 just fine.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
its my understanding that the transoms were reinforced when the ratings went up. the concern could be too much load on the transom with higher than rated hp. call grady and ask them. they have pretty good customer service

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Had the same question so I called Grady White. Their comment was the euro transom on those early models was not designed to withstand the weight of current four strokes. Their suggestion for me was the newer Mercury Four Strokes. So, that's what I did and haven't look back. The old two stroke Yami's weighed in at about 440. The Mercury V6 four stroke weighs in at 475.