How common is rot in Grady transoms?

yakoun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi all, I'm considering a 228 Seafarer - something with lower hour 4 stroke power in the 250HP range. Due to price point, I'm looking at an older hull, but preferably this side of the year 2000. My question is for those with older hulls - particularly those with the full transom (no aluminum cap). How frequently have you found reasonably well maintained boats with rotten transoms? I've operated 3 gradys in my day that were older models - 2 islanders and an offshore and during my time with them I didn't NOTICE any problems with movement, cracking or softness. Is having to redo the transom a sure thing, 50/50 or reasonably rare? Of course I'll be getting a survey done on any candidate but I understand that is far from an iron clad guarantee that trouble won't rear it's head. I'd like to hear from owners who have had issues as well as those haven't... Appreciate any advice!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
the main cause of rot was water intrusion under the aluminum cap. the rot was worse pre 1998 when they switched to a more rot resistant plywood.

Reactions: yakoun

yakoun

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
the main cause of rot was water intrusion under the aluminum cap. the rot was worse pre 1998 when they switched to a more rot resistant plywood.
Thanks for this! Based on your reply I was able to find this thread for anybody who didn’t already know: