How much 1/2" anchor line fits in the Grady-White marlin 300 anchor box?

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I recently purchased a 2022 Grady Marlin 300 and left it with the dealer to have some upgrades and service done before I pick it up in spring of 2025. Unfortunately, the boat is a 4 hr. drive for me to check things, so I decided to ask my question here.
I will be fishing in the Northeast canyons which requires between 2000' and 3000' of anchor rode to be safe, especially in chitty conditions, so my question is... How much anchor line fits in the box, and how are you guys stowing your longer road when anchoring in 500' to 600' while offshore. The boat has a windlass and 300' of line, which is useless in anything over 100'. I'm thinking I should leave the current anchor and windlass alone, and bring a heavier anchor, with longer/heavier chain for deeper water.
I need recommendations for anchor size and smallest road diameter for canyon fishing on a GW Marlin 300.
Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We fish the canyons out of NJ. I have never anchored while fishing just too deep. It may be possible up on the flats inside the canyon. If we chunk overnight we usually drift with a drift sock. The drift sock seems to always be in the way when we get a run off.

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've always anchored when fishing at night in the canyons as it's more comfortable and I can stay closer to the temp break, bait, or whatever is holding the fish. I've done well drifting during the day, but I'm not very comfortable off the hook at night. 500 to 600ft. is deep, but not so bad with an anchor retrieval ball. The problem is where to stow 2000 feet of rode, 25' of chain and 18lb. anchor without having to climb over it while not in use. The size of the anchor locker on the Marlin 300 is just silly, considering it's such a capable offshore boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I only have 300 of line and 30' of chain. Appears 1/2 full to me. The anchor sits on the pulpit roller so that shouldn't be an issue.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
With that much line, you will have to stow it on deck in a laundry basket, Rubbermaid bin or garbage can. Take it with you when you need it, otherwise leave it off the boat as it will take up too much space. Most boats are not going to have the capacity to stow that much line in the anchor compartment.

KcFerry

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think you need to re-think your plans.
Nope! I've been doing this in a 29' Aquasport for years, but the Aquasport has a huge anchor box and windlass. We still use an anchor retrieval ball and just pick up the slack with the windlass. Plenty of areas between the dip and the elbow of the Hudson to anchor up for the night. I'm not one to say, "oh well, I guess it can't be done". With a little trial and error, I'll find the best solution for anchoring in deep water and stowing my line. Drifting or tying up to a flyer is really not an option.
Might have to get creative.
Thankfully , I have time to figure this out as i'm not picking up the boat until April.
I'll post my progress.✌️

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's making it happen. Good luck. Maybe you could come up with a split rode configuration. 50% in the box, with the end available for a quick connect with the balance in a basket. The trickiest part is getting an attachment or process to get it windlass capable. Let us know how you make out.

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nope! I've been doing this in a 29' Aquasport for years, but the Aquasport has a huge anchor box and windlass. We still use an anchor retrieval ball and just pick up the slack with the windlass. Plenty of areas between the dip and the elbow of the Hudson to anchor up for the night. I'm not one to say, "oh well, I guess it can't be done". With a little trial and error, I'll find the best solution for anchoring in deep water and stowing my line. Drifting or tying up to a flyer is really not an option.
Might have to get creative.
Thankfully , I have time to figure this out as i'm not picking up the boat until April.
I'll post my progress.✌️
Sounds like an expensive solution to an infrequent problem but I guess I could say the same about the swordfish gear I only use a handful of times per year. ‍

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How about a drum windlass, like EZ Anchor Pull, with 150 feet of nylon shock rode, and a small diameter braided backing.

Poolmaker

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How about a drum windlass, like EZ Anchor Pull, with 150 feet of nylon shock rode, and a small diameter braided backing.

I have 600' of 1/2" 8 plait w 30' of chain and a Maxwell windlass on my 95 Marlin. It's pretty full and so far works well. 22# Rochna. Looks like it could fit a little more but not much. I agree way too small of an anchor locker.

Family Tradition

Reaction score
FWIW I fish at anchor as deep as 160-180 down here in FL. I can fit 600' of rode in my locker with the windless but it is full and can have problems feeding in. At times someone will have to pull slack in on the inside of the locker because how it lays. I typically leave the line on the deck in the bow when I have 600' on board and there's plenty of room for more. I only carry the 600 when I'm going fishing, if just cruising or at the sandbar I've got a 300' I leave in the locker and it deploys and retrieves beautifully.

Reactions: Sardinia306Canyon

Poolmaker

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I haven't had any issues with it feeding but I did go w a horizontal so it didn't need as much drop. So far, so good. I'm in NE FL as well fishing the same depths

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
With that much line, you will have to stow it on deck in a laundry basket, Rubbermaid bin or garbage can. Take it with you when you need it, otherwise leave it off the boat as it will take up too much space. Most boats are not going to have the capacity to stow that much line in the anchor compartment.
Yep, exactly that.
Just a hint,
even if it takes a bit of time, before dropping the anchor pull the whole line out of the basket and feed it to the floor and then back in the bucket. This avoid that the rushing down anchor makes a knot or get tangled and you have a anchor hanging on midwater and you have to retrive it again.
A correctly setup anchor ball setup will work great, did that thousands of times and never had any issue.

which requires between 2000' and 3000' of anchor rode to be safe, especially in chitty conditions, so my question is...
What do you mean with that, to anchor safely in a emergency or rode is long enough to anchor for fishing?

I know people who anchor at 1500 ft for deep deep dropping in the canyons here but thats a total PITA
Because of the handling of 3-5000ft of rode and because if current or wind changes the boat changes position too much.

Honestly i would invest in a trolling motor with spot lock feature and that is what i will do for next season.

Chris

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Best guess is 300'. Most canyon guys tie off to lobster pot . Or have laundry baskets of anchor line and a float ball with ring to pull the anchor. Windlass's are not really up for the task of anchoring in 600+ feet of water. Spot lock is just "lazy" wishful thinking.