Installation of bow thruster

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
my 335 Freedom does not have a thruster from factory. I find the joystick operation with triples is not satisfactory for docking and thus Considering installing a thruster but I see challenges in access for an installation. I suppose a new hatch would have to be opened/made up front to be able to do this. How big a job would this be altogether, anyone with some experience and what would a ballpark cost be?

H

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You need to start with GW and investigate how bow thrusters were installed at the factory in your model. Newer GW's have provisions for thruster built into the hull at the factory. If you look at this GW 2022 model hull you can see the thruster option molded into the hull (zoom in).

Seaport Blue Hull GW.jpeg

I installed a Vetus BOW45D in my 27' Islander.

Side Power document attached is very good. Vetus install document attached as well.

Been a few years but $5,000 for a DIY job. There are mobile thruster installer that will come to you depending where you are. I would guess $10k~$15k with the larger boat and choice of thruster. Personally I like the Vetus - much better built.

Attachments

• Side Power Tunnel_Installation_Guide.pdf
    914.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Vetus Install Recomendations.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Thanks, have seen them at our marina doing some installation way back, when I already had one on the boat.
I would have to cut open the forward deck as there only is a small round 6"? access right now. That's the least appealing part on top of cutting the holes in the hull. Using a normal frame and deck hatch is ok as it should be water tight in any case And might even be so far up front that it ends up in a natural "out of the way" spot. I will ask them for a quote.

H