Is it Gas?

Raptor1472

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
IMG_3443.jpeg
Just need someone more experienced to confirm what I’m fairly certain I already know.

I have been noticing the smell from the bilge for a little while now. I haven’t put it in the water yet due to other repairs I’m doing after buying it back in May.

I figured since it’s a 1995 that I’d need to replace the tanks sooner or later, but I was hoping I could make at least on season with it before I had to. I don’t think I’ll be getting my wish this time.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
something is in the water, likely gas, could it be oil...assuming you have 2 strokes on the transom?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't tell hold finds ow deep the water is but I would find a flat bottom scoop, collect some water in a jar and see what you get. Fuel will float.

I did tanks on my Islander last Summer. Where is the boat in CM?

Raptor1472

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They are two strokes, and where you’re looking in the bilge is just forward of the transom, and just aft of the fuel tanks. I’ll try the jar/scoop trick shortly.

Raptor1472

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
IMG_3447.jpeg

Alright so I’m not seeing any rainbow swirls on top but this sure is interesting. We did just run the fresh water system in God knows how long last weekend, and the water heater input hose had a pretty significant leak that I also need to plug, so this may just be some gross buildup from up forward that washed down.

There’s no smell of gas from the glass or when I stick my head down into the bilge back here, but when I remove the round covers over the tanks I definitely smell an odor - but I can’t tell if it’s gas, because it almost smells more like a urethane or some form of adhesive.

Any thoughts?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
View attachment 34187

Alright so I’m not seeing any rainbow swirls on top but this sure is interesting. We did just run the fresh water system in God knows how long last weekend, and the water heater input hose had a pretty significant leak that I also need to plug, so this may just be some gross buildup from up forward that washed down.

There’s no smell of gas from the glass or when I stick my head down into the bilge back here, but when I remove the round covers over the tanks I definitely smell an odor - but I can’t tell if it’s gas, because it almost smells more like a urethane or some form of adhesive.

Any thoughts?

This is water and fuel from my tank years ago. The fuel will be on top. You could see if it will burn but be careful. Not sure what the snots are but not fuel. You could pull the deck and wash the fuel tanks down to get smells out of there. Get bow up high and get water to drain from fuel compartment into aft bilge.

Water fuel.jpeg

My tanks were not leaking but I did them anyway. They were 25 years old and it always bothered me.

Hard to say if your tanks are bad. They are old enough. You could try to figure out which tank is bad and use the boat this summer on one tank. Or replace the aft tank now (easy) and do the fwd tank later (hard). The effort to get the tanks in/out isn't worth repairing tank - just do new. SP tanks in Clermont did my tanks I did the work.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You put the sample in a bottle then put it in the freezer. water will freeze, gas will not.

Sardinia306Canyon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Bimini
There’s no smell of gas from the glass or when I stick my head down into the bilge back here, but when I remove the round covers over the tanks I definitely smell an odour - but I can’t tell if it’s gas, because it almost smells more like a urethane or some form of adhesive.
Then it's not fresh gas!
Gasoline is very volatile and has a very strong smell and you would smell a leak immediately and clearly.
I had to pull my RIB's fuel tank due a leak and strong gas smell and once pulled i discovered such a tiny hole that it was more sweating as dripping.

I would guess it's a kind of oil, not gasoline. Do you have hydraulic steering? The color may indicate hydraulic oil.

Chris

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Raptor1472

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can't tell hold finds ow deep the water is but I would find a flat bottom scoop, collect some water in a jar and see what you get. Fuel will float.

I did tanks on my Islander last Summer. Where is the boat in CM?
Boat will be at Utch’s Marina, but it’s still in PA right now as I’ve been working on it intermittently after work before bringing it down for the season.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It looks like old gas and water to me from the pics. Prob don't want to hear it but your due for tanks. I'd bite the bullet and get them and all the lines done.