Islander List to starboard at the dock

clubers

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

A long time 1996 GW Islander owner here who just discovered this forum and figured you might be able to help solve an issue I am having with the boat.

First off let me say the Islander has been fantastic, it has definitely become part of the family. Living in Florida it gets used a lot. Been on countless trips to the Keys, Dry Tortugas, Bahamas and everywhere in between, all wonderful memories. I have almost 1000 hours on this boat and it still turns heads.

So, to my problem: Over the years the boat has developed a list to starboard when sitting at the dock. The best way to describe the severity is that the scuppers on the port side are fully out of the water while on the starboard side they are just below the waterline. There have been no modifications done that would have added weight. The listing does not appear to be related to gas distribution.

I have inspected where possible and not found any great quantity of water anywhere. There however is one area that seems suspect. When washing down the helm area some of the water that runs down the starboard side of the caption's chair seat post is going up over the cockpit liner into the hull and landing in a foam filled section. I know this because I can see leaves and other debris sitting on top of the foam but no sign of water.

Some questions:
Does the foam retain water?
Does the compartment under the helm chair drain?
Could this be the source of the added weight that has slowly been increasing over the years?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not know if this is your issue but last year when I removed the large cockpit inspection deck panel I noticed the fuel tank had shifted to the one side. It slid up under one of the support blocks and was pulled away from the other side. It was only off about 2 inches and does not seem to cause an imballance problem. Yours may be way off to one side though. I did not do anything because the tank was full and it does not seem to cause any instability. I wil get to that one in a year or so when I replace fuel lines.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've heard of the tanks shifting, but also, on that model, you have more weight in your helm, as well as the head inside the cabin on this side. Not sure if you have your house batteries there as well, but it all adds up. Many boats this size have slight lists, my Grady does, but it is less then 1/2" which is not of grave concern for stability, just may not look how you want at the dock. I would check the tanks, if this is not it, try shifting your gear in the boat to alleviates some of the list. Even moving batteries may work if you have the space and can run the wires yourself. I've seen a lot of Grady's as well as other brands, both new and old with a slight list to one side at the dock. It is hard to keep a small boat balanced perfectly.

clubers

Reaction score
thanks, great suggestion on the fuel tanks, had not thought of that.

I've had the boat since new and it didnt list when I bought it. Given I have not made any modifications somthing is going on. Sitting my 220 lb backside on the port side levels it out so thats quite some weight somewhere. I can/have been living with it for a few years but its starting to annoy me so keep the suggestions coming.

dduflo

Reaction score
Have you noticed any changes in performance? Have you removed anything of substance from the Port side, such as the fridge, freshwater tank, etc? I'd also check to be sure your holding tank and hotwater heater have not shifted. Try calling Grady's customer service, they have been very helpful. Please let us know what you find.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
At 220 lbs to level it out that means the equivalent of at least 26 gals of water. My bet is that you have a leak and the flotation foam is becoming saturated. Most all foams be it closed or open celled will hold water, some will hold a lot more than others. I have seen my seats (2’ x 2’ x 3”) increase in weight by a couple of pounds or about a quart of water. To dry them out I suck out as much water as possible with a shop vac and then let them dry through the winter. It takes as much as a month for them to completely dry. My point here is that it could easily be something like this. The problem has come on with time and does not abate. Is there any way to get access to the foamed areas of the boat to inspect it for water saturation?

clubers

Reaction score
Nothing has been removed or added to the boat that would account for 220 lbs. Performance wise apart from having to trim out the boat using the tabs I have not noticed any difference in economy.

Tashmoo, Thanks for the comments on the foam. My working theory right now is that every time I wash down the helm area some water spills over the cockpit liner directly onto the foam (I know this is occurring), 26 gals over many years would be possible. The question is what happens to the water? It seems to be disappearing into the foam. If the foam holds water then this could be the added weight.

I can see the area thru the starboard cockpit inspection plate. I will try prodding around in there with a long stick to check for any saturation.

Thanks again guys, this is great.

gw204

Reaction score
If you find that you have a bloated boat, this might work for you.

I've heard of guys shrinkwrapping them and placing a powered dehumidifier under the cover. Running that fella for a few weeks/months should dry it right out and you can monitor the amount of moisure removed.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Gw204 great idea, I think that this might do the trick. As for where does the water go, it's in the cell structure of the foam but again it depends on the type of foam used. Keep us in the loop on what you find, this one is a head scratcher.