just bought 1990 230 gulf strem

jeff pope

Reaction score
looking for any tips on what to double check before taking it for the first time? i'm fairly new to the salt water scene.

catch22

Reaction score
That list could almost be endless :) , but here's a few....

Batteries charged and connections checked.
Bilge pumps working, (manual and float).
Garboard drain plug is in? (bracket too, if you have one).
Go over all the thru-hulls, (as best as you can). Check hoses, fittings, clamps. If you have a livewell/wasdown, check out the seacock. Leave it closed for your 1st seatrail.
Steering system ok? - if hydraulic, check level in helm, make sure there's no leaks, especially around the ram, (cylinder). Wether it's cable or hydraulic, check steering from end to end for any binding or tight spots. Can't hurt to lube, even if it was done recently. Grease all points on the motor, steering, tilt, shift/throttle, etc.
Electronics ok? gps, ff, and... VHF! Take a cell phone too.
Accessories function ok? - trim tabs, horn, wipers, etc.
Safety gear - life jackets. Flares up to date, etc.
Outboard - lower unit oil ok? Water indicator, (pisser) ok when running? Tilt/trim works ok?
Fuel filter/water sepearator ok? Inspect fuel lines.
2 cycle oil - plenty in remote tank? Level is ok on motor tank?
Controls, (throttle/shift ok)? Prop nut is secure?Run outboard on ear muffs prior to seatrial. You can shift it in and out of gear, while running on muffs, but keep the rpm's way down. And make sure prop won't hit hose/muffs.
Boat trailer - tire pressue ok? grease hubs? winch ok? brakes ok? Check lights. Trailer straps ok?
Up to date registration for boat and trailer?
Try to avoid having any lose gear on the deck area that might slide around.
Have dock lines and fenders ready at the ramp.

Once your in the water, tied up at the ramp, inspect the bilge for any water, (leaks). Check around the seacock especially. Double check your steering, tilt/trim, bilge pumps and fire up your electronics.

Run the motor long enough to make sure you get no alarms. Check pisser again too. While your still tied up, shift the motor in and out of forward and reverse, (leave it in gear for a few seconds) but keep the rpm's down around idle, so you don't over strain your dock lines. Do this just to make sure your outboard doesn't stall out, (rpm's are lower when the motor is submerged vs on the ear muffs).

If everything checks out, untie and take off.

All this might sound like over-kill, but the 1st seatrail can be a little un-nerving. Imo, it's better, (safer) to be extra anal. :lol:

I'm sure I missed a few items.

I had a 91 Gulfstream.... great boat.

Good luck.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not much to add to Catch's list..
One thing..When you return, get into the habit of flushing the engine(s) with fresh water EVERY time you have them (it) in salt.
Depending on the condition of your boat; washing and/or spraying it down is time well spent. If your boat is weathered you may not need to hit it real hard. If it looks great..Keep it that way.

Saltwater is some of the greatest boating and the worst pain in the @##@#$$.

I have a 2007 Gulfstream..It really rocks..Have fun.